Thinking of getting a corn snake :)

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Like the title says, I held some at the weekend and loved it!!

But I have never owned any reptile before apart from a turtle.

So buying the snake is easier than I though, I've found some local hobbyists that breed them and they look in great condition (as far as I can tell...) and are much cheaper than I was expecting :)
I know buying the animal is always the easy part so what else do I need?

I'm guessing a heat source, uvb lamp or similar?, and an inclosure, I have an old wardrobe with a broken door... Is it difficult to build a vivarium? It would be a cool project for me if I could build if myself as well!

Any other advice about maintenance, feeding general care would also be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Or... I have a 80g 2'x3' that's going to be empty very soon, how long could a very small baby corn snake be happy in there? And would the lamp work shining threw glass or does it have to shine directly on them?

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Just researched the light and a lot of people saying they only need heat as they get their calcium from bones. So do I basically need to make the tank secure and add a heat mat and thermostat? I already have an aquarium light in the tank

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
the 80 gal would be good for the snake for life. It is actually an order of magnitude larger than what most people keep adults in. No need for any UV lighting. Just get a heat pad to stick to the underside of the tank. Use cypress mulch as substrate and provide branches, hides, and a water bowl. I would recommend starting out in a smaller enclosure so that you are able to find it when you go into the enclosure. A 10 gallon will be fine for the first year or so. Make sure the lid is VERY SECURE. These guys are escape artists.

Here is a half decent care sheet
https://www.cornsnake.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=67&lang=en

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
the 80 gal would be good for the snake for life. It is actually an order of magnitude larger than what most people keep adults in. No need for any UV lighting. Just get a heat pad to stick to the underside of the tank. Use cypress mulch as substrate and provide branches, hides, and a water bowl. I would recommend starting out in a smaller enclosure so that you are able to find it when you go into the enclosure. A 10 gallon will be fine for the first year or so. Make sure the lid is VERY SECURE. These guys are escape artists.

Here is a half decent care sheet
https://www.cornsnake.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56&Itemid=67&lang=en
Thanks that's very helpful advice and link :) I have a 15g in the cupboard but it's an open top, might be able to make some sort of lid for it.

I was going to get glass panels made up to completely cover where the filter gaps are and I'm guessing they would need weighing down too?

I'm hoping the ATF is being sold this weekend and the lfs will give me credit for the eel so it can then be turned into a vivarium :)

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
Is you can push it open without a tremendous deal of force or could fit your pinkie through he can and will escape. Follow Chris' advice

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Is you can push it open without a tremendous deal of force or could fit your pinkie through he can and will escape. Follow Chris' advice
Yea there is only 2 gaps and a am going to get panels made up to fit perfectly (without the corner missing for the filter pipes) and weigh it down, I can't think of any possible way it could escape but we shall see... Lol

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
Eager to see how this goes. I'm looking to go the same route. I had a 55 gallon given to me and instead of re-sealing it (leak over halfway up a corner joint) I've been thinking about a corn snake instead... Also requires less power outlets :p

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Eager to see how this goes. I'm looking to go the same route. I had a 55 gallon given to me and instead of re-sealing it (leak over halfway up a corner joint) I've been thinking about a corn snake instead... Also requires less power outlets :p

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I'm going to go and look at some later, I will let you know how it goes :)

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Decided to get 1-2 :) just gotta pic up a heat mat, thermostat and some food. Hopefully I will pic 1 or both of them up tomorrow! Gotta go shopping and see if I can get the equipment first...

Here's a pic of 1 of them, the other 1 was way to fast to hold with 1 hand long enough for a pic lol ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1398425585.156029.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store