Geophagus balzanii dead next day

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
About 2 days ago I woke up in the morning and found my geo balzanii dead with no apparent injury at all. I had him for about 6 months. The day before he was eating and nothing wrong with him. Could it be because of the temp change they go through the year. I never dropped the temp down to the mid 60s cause he was in my 240 with the other Cichlids and I couldn't afford risk losing my other fish over him. Could the temp which by the way was always between 77-79 ALOT of times. Just wonder what killed him. I don't think it was internal parasites. He showed no signs of it and was eating like a pig. Water parameters checked out great. Feel bad for the little stubby guy. He got along with my Jupari and my alfatrons.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When I first acquired some balzani years ago, I tried to keep them at constant tropical temps. They did not do well, and seemed to become listless, and succumb after about a year. Since keeping them in room temps (no heater in tank), that fluctuate a bit between high 70sF in summer, and mid to high 60sF in winter, things are much different. Day/night temps also seem to fluctuate by a few degrees.
one year ago, @ 1"

this week, males 4"-5"

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
I let the temp dip for the Meridionalis I had and still lost them all this spring. Temp got down to the low 60s. Don't think their deaths had anything to do with the temp. They, too, looked fine right up until the end. I think they're just more fragile than people realize and need constant vigilance on water quality. Geos are much the same.

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
He looked fine with no signs of parasites. Here's a pic of him at 4". Stubby little sucker. Didn't grow much maybe 1/2in at best when I had him for 6-7 months.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1398292981548.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1398293026328.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store