Need help on my poly congicus

wilsonhuweishen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2013
Malaysia
seriously, this is the weirdest i ever had in fish keeping experience, i dont know how and why my concigus "broke its pectoral fin". i found out in the morning, then i saw my huge PEE 18" bite off its broken pectoral fin and ate it, that time the situation was like the concigus pectoral fin was just like "fell off"

Here are the pic:
IMG_7193.JPGIMG_7194.JPGIMG_7195.JPG

my question and worries are whether the pectoral fin will grow back or not? cause i do some research and found out some interesting info and diagram, here are the pic below:
F2.large.jpgm4203450d.jpg
is this kind of recovery possible? could it be real? i hope my concigus can recover this way too, guys i seriously need your help, its a 15" concigus and i very hardly get it here.

IMG_7193.JPG

IMG_7194.JPG

IMG_7195.JPG

F2.large.jpg

m4203450d.jpg

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I can't see it very well because I'm on my phone, but from what I see it should grow back. I can't really tell how far it is bitten down though

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
It's pretty deep if you'll ask me, when did it happened? by the meaning of morning in your timezone today?

wilsonhuweishen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2013
Malaysia
I can't see it very well because I'm on my phone, but from what I see it should grow back. I can't really tell how far it is bitten down though[/Q

Dr.B, i expecting your reply, just imagine, the whole pectoral fin "fell off" and its quite deep, was crazy.

wilsonhuweishen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2013
Malaysia
It's pretty deep if you'll ask me, when did it happened? by the meaning of morning in your timezone today?
i from malaysia bro, was 7 in the morning, as usual before i head off to work i will check all my pets, i dont know how it happen, all i know the first thing i look into the tank, i saw my congicus pectoral fin was almost "fell off" already, within a minute when i wana remove it, my Huge PEE bite it off and ate it broken pectoral fin, i was really shocked and stunned there for a moment. its just happening in front of my eyes, it was just so crazy.

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
That's why I don't keep lower jaws as much my collection of upper jaws... most of the lowers are territorial, well ornates doesn't play team as well.

Might take sometime, but can't guarantee.

As I can see at the 2nd picture it's almost the end was gone, but on the 3rd pic there's some part left. Pectoral fins can regenerate, but let's just hope that your PEE didn't get the root like part of the fin.

I'm stating this from my observation only, I haven't experienced heavy wounds along from my polys.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Excuse my ignorance: what is a PEE? Based on your supporting photos I would guess a pretty good chance of regeneration.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Excuse my ignorance: what is a PEE? Based on your supporting photos I would guess a pretty good chance of regeneration.
PEE is polypterus endlicheri endlicheri some people just say PEE instead of endli

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Hmmm well I can see it now and would say that it looks like it'll grow back like posted above. I would definitely make sure you keep water quality very good and probably use some sort of fungus and bacterial meds as well as some salt to make sure it does get infected. If you can I would separate it so that it won't have to struggle too much to get some food. I would also try and drop food right by his head so he won't have to use it too much. I had one that had both of them bitten off and he swam weird after it happened. Once his fins grew back he swam a lot more normal but never the same. I would probably watch to see if it was in fact aggression, because if it was the problem probably will keep happening if nothing is done. If you observe aggression and determine thats what it was I would suggest the next time you do a water change either take the decor out or change it around the tank.

wilsonhuweishen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2013
Malaysia
Hmmm well I can see it now and would say that it looks like it'll grow back like posted above. I would definitely make sure you keep water quality very good and probably use some sort of fungus and bacterial meds as well as some salt to make sure it does get infected. If you can I would separate it so that it won't have to struggle too much to get some food. I would also try and drop food right by his head so he won't have to use it too much. I had one that had both of them bitten off and he swam weird after it happened. Once his fins grew back he swam a lot more normal but never the same. I would probably watch to see if it was in fact aggression, because if it was the problem probably will keep happening if nothing is done. If you observe aggression and determine thats what it was I would suggest the next time you do a water change either take the decor out or change it around the tank.
thanks Dr.B, well noted your advice, the wound was quite deep bro, is it possible to regenerate back like it was? my peacock bass happened the same thing, BUT it never grow back. among all fish, this tank i put the most effort, cause i learn alot in keeping fish, what kind of water, what type of water for them, water flow rate, water dripping system, that was just amazing, i love my polys tank, well currently this tank got

-1 SA lungfish
-2 florida gars
-7 poly lapradei, 4 WC, 3 CB
-2 CB senegalus senegalus
-1 CB palmas polli
-1 CB ornate
-1 WC concigus
-1 CB ansorgii
-3 CB PEE

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com