What tank size for breeding Melanochromis auratus?

ryan2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2014
shelbyville illinois
I have 3 females in a 60 gallon with 2 frontosas. 2 neon blues. 2 kenyi. Cory cats. And a breeding pair of german reds. They all het along just fine but the biggest fish in there is 3 inches which is the pair of german reds

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I'd recommend more than 3 females...6+ would be preferable.

I've bred M. auratus in a 4' tank. I wouldn't go smaller. The key is lots of females per male and lots of other robust fish to spread the aggression. Maybe a dozen or so Metriaclima of some kind.

I use PVC condos - basically groups of 6" long PVC rubber-banded together for hiding spots.

Just keeping the Melanochromis by themselves will result in the females getting pounded.

Ryan's set-up with a frontosa, cory cats and peacocks will result isn't a mix I'd recommend.

Matt

ryan2000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2014
shelbyville illinois
Matt I agree with you about the mix. I keep juvees in this tank in my living room so I can have a lot of different color and active movement. When they outgrow I have four other tanks in my basement to move them around and a few other keepers to trade with for differnt stuff. I like a variety. As far as the breeding I agree with you 100 percent. I would recomend a seperate tank for the wholding female to be by herself. I have good luck with that to keep the stress off of them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

vinboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2013
Liverpool, England
Ive kept many Mbuna and found these to be a pain I had a hyper male who chased and bullyed both males and females and torn fins ect.

Started with wild group from Mbenji Island 3m 4f

They bred well and produced many F1 fry but i moved them on in end for Metriclima Msobo.

alexanian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Damascus
My plan is to keep them in a 5 foot tank, although it will be a bit narrow - only 30 cm - about one foot, hope that it'll work since it's around 60 g. Interesting that you mentioned Metriaclima as tankmates Matt since I was thinking of getting Red zebras but wasn't sure if they would hybridize so I was thinking of keeping them by themselves. Another option was keeping N. venustus with them but I don't think the tank will be big enough for those. What do u think? Any suggestions on numbers of red zebra or N. venustus, if it is possible to keep them in a L5'xW12''xH20'', if I keep one male and 5-6 females of M. auratus.
Everybody says they're PITA to keep because of how aggressive they are so I'm still not 100% sold on the idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store