Pretty cool personal fish behavior observations

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Anybody got any surprising observations? Here is a couple that I had:

Fish know new arrivals even with hundreds of tank mates.. not just for the same species even… when I add new fish then many different fish will display curious behavior towards them… from just nudging(or in the case of gourami, they’ll feel them up with their little curb feelers), following them around for a bit, ect. I think this is very cool as it seems to suggest that they “know” their tank mates even in the crowd.

Actual empathy- I have seen a large school of various rainbow fish get all riled up from the presence of a stray fry at the surface and then their frenzied attack mode will kick in… but even though they seem to be “hitting” it a million times a second, they ultimately leave it alone as if they changed their minds at the last possible second. It would have easily fit in any of their mouths. It was amazing to see them overcome this feeding frenzy behavior, they all eventually settled down and let the fry swim away.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
A pair of very old and very big(well for corydora) albino Cory cats huddling and protecting a group of small New bronze corys, that was cool, they even charged my 6" green Sevrum when he got curious! I didn't think the albino pair would care about the new arrivals, especially since there bronze and not albinos

Sent from my HTC Desire C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
That is cool! Very unexpected.

My loaches are very tender toward each other, I didn't expect that either. THey way they nudge each other playfully and stuff. This probably isn't so surprising.. but I'm fairly new to fish keeping and I thought it was cool.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Good thread...I like reading these individual and unique aspects of fish keeping.I have a hybrid cichlid-jagXtexas.he has a lot of personality.one thing I do is using a heavy rubber glove, I put my hand in, at 1st he attacks.then as I push or stand my ground he turns side ways, trying to show dominance. After a few minutes he calms down and seems to enjoy the playing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cyberhog05

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2009
Western Montucky
I love adding a new fish to my display tank. Funny to see 5-6 adult fish turn around at the same time and all stare and watch the new arrival. I've watched 1 clown loach in particular mouth my large fire eel on several occasions. Not biting but cruising up and down his body. My fire eel doesn't mind a bit.

Signature

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
Has anyone ever noticed there fish personality change when another fish dies/gets moved to another tank? When one of my albino corys died the other was very different, no longer as active a swimmer

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BlueTailCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
bmore
My oscar has started jumping and banging the lid HARD when he wants food. I changed it to a soft DIY mesh like material lid so now he just knocks the whole lid off when he is hungry!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Has anyone ever noticed there fish personality change when another fish dies/gets moved to another tank? When one of my albino corys died the other was very different, no longer as active a swimmer

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yes! Tiger barbs and rainbow fish especially... when one of their own starts to display dying behavior like orientation issues, they'll come up and nudge them around a bit. Sometime it seems they are trying to straighten them out, other times it seems like they're just trying to illicit a response.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Nice story's!-)

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Think most of us with big cichlid communitys have a boss, my biggest midas interrupts most other fights like a peace keeper!-) others when the boss choose to run a reign of terror on their tankmates... interesting to see how the different fish act when in power. I have a large butti that enjoys tearing up any of the large robust fake plants I place in, it stops between ripping them up to look at me almost to taunt and mock me lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store