Fx5 driving me nuts!!!

manafel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2012
tulsa, oklahoma
I have a fx5 on my 210 gallon tank. I cleaned the filter last night, and there is this awful buzzing noise coming from the motor. I have taken the motor off 3 times since and taken the impeller out and cleaned the housing and impeller. It's still buzzing and it's driving me absolutely bonkers! I don't see anything in the housing, the impeller shaft is straight. I noticed on the white end of the impeller, there seemed to be some black abrasion marks. If someone could help me, I would really appreciate it. :( I also made sure that there wasn't any air in the canister while running...

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

manafel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2012
tulsa, oklahoma
Seems like your installing it incorrectly. Heres the manual with some pictures, its on page EN-22 near the bottom. Good luck

http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/FX5_user_manual_EN.pdf
I read the manual(didn't have that before, so I'm glad I do now) and disassembled the canister again. Followed the instructions to the tee and it's still making the same noise :(

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Is the impeller is damaged as in the black marks? If so it could be off balanced and you're probably going to have to get a new one lol... Saying the sound is a buzzing makes me think that its off balanced.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Perfect example of why a pump shouldn't be on the bottom of a canister filter.

manafel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2012
tulsa, oklahoma
Perfect example of why a pump shouldn't be on the bottom of a canister filter.
I always thought the motor on the bottom was a bit of a design flaw, doesn't make a lot of sense . As far as the impeller goes, the black marks on the impeller are on the white part that goes the furthest in the housing. I looked closer at it when I last took it out , and it does look damaged... Sucks because a new impeller is about $40

TripleW

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Iowa
I am not sure exactly how an FX5 goes together but sometimes when my filters impellers are making noise I put a thin coat of Vaseline on the Impeller.

manafel

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2012
tulsa, oklahoma
I am not sure exactly how an FX5 goes together but sometimes when my filters impellers are making noise I put a thin coat of Vaseline on the Impeller.
I tried putting Vaseline on the impeller the last time I took it apart, didn't fix it :( the new impeller should be in tomorrow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store