Grow out tank for salvini.

wattfish16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
Delaware
My salvini have been courting for the last two weeks and have just moved in together last night. Just wanted to know what a proper grow out set up would be if they do breed. Anything special I would need to feed them.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I never bred them but I had a 50 gal.36x18 that I had 4 I as an attempt.a female killed the 1 male the other 2 fish were stressed.I think 55 gal could work, but I would think a 75 would be better.add some target fish and extra hiding spots.mix up the feeding, variety

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
My salvini have been courting for the last two weeks and have just moved in together last night. Just wanted to know what a proper grow out set up would be if they do breed. Anything special I would need to feed them.
[video=youtube;Pf_UeNjT6W4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf_UeNjT6W4[/video] I have a pair i just bought in a 40 breeder so far so good

wattfish16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
Delaware
I have them in a 55 gallon with a school of tetras and rainbows, and, also a pike cichlid which they could care less about. I feed them a variety of live, frozen and, and pellets. I was wondering if anyone had experience in raising fry. Tank food ect. ? nice looking pair by the way.
thank you for the replies

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I had my pair in a 55g while breeding, but divided it when they eventually broke up. 55 should be fine but don't expect them to tolerate tankmates when they breed. They can be vicious!

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Also, I just fed mine pellets and the occasional frozen shrimp. My male was 8" (a big boy) and my female was 5".

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
I would treat the fry as any other CA cichlid.I always leave with parents for them to learn how the raise them and bond.feed crushed flake, the parents also stir up/chew for them.if you want to keep any, pull half the fry when free swimming, if you take too many the parents might turn on each other.the young left with the parents will most likely get eaten when they are ready to spawn again

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wattfish16

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
Delaware
Thank you for the replies. There are still no fry or eggs that I can tell. They only leave their cave to eat or chase other fish away. How long before I should expect fry?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store