New to planted tanks

NYfan78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2010
Maryland
This will be my first planted tank.I am will be getting a 40 or a 55 gallon Aquaplantarium tank. What suggestions does everyone have so I do not fail.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
hello; I have found that small gravel makes a better substrate for plants that sand. sand can work, but my plants have done some better in the gravel. I also like to have 4-5 inches of substrate.

you will not need CO2 injection to grow plants. Some have used it to enhance plant growth, but it is not a necessity.

Many plants get the nutrients needed from the water. Others, such as amazon swords, are root feeders and will need some form of nutrient in the substrate near the roots.

I put my lights for planted tanks on a timer. This helps to be more regular.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
its a giant balancing act between 3 factors
light, nutrient availability, and carbon availability

if any of those 3 are out of balance, it creates problems

low tech is easier to start since it requires the lowest amounts of the 3 elements
high tech is fun because you can grow basically anything, but its the hardest because if any of the 3 areas start to slack, your tank is going to quickly get problems and take a while to fix up

biggest thing though, is know what your goal with your tank is before you set it up, know if you want to be low-tech or whatever, know roughly where you want to take the tank look wise, and make a plan. Planted tanks that are rushed together with little thought are not satisfying and quite frankly, tend to suck and become a giant pain to make into something you are happy with. do it right the first time, ya know?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store