Unsure if this is illness or injury

goldmund

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I have a 120g (4'x2') Malawi tank that has been setup since January (with established media from another tank). The tank has overflows with a sump, as well as an FX5 filter on it. I do weekly 50% water changes, and current water conditions are temp 78.5F nitrates 20ppm nitrite 0 ammonia 0 and pH 8.0 tested with an API kit.

This morning when I fed the fish, everyone looked healthy. This evening when I got home, my melanochromis auratus was hanging near the top of the tank, and looked pretty roughed up. None of his tankmates look like anything is wrong with them.

DSC_6982.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6981.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

DSC_6979.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

I lost a beautiful OB peacock a month ago in almost exactly the same way, he looked completely healthy in the morning and when I came home from work he was already dead. Fortunately I was able to catch the auratus in time and get him into a hospital tank.

This is what I'm currently stocked with in the 120, I've had most of these guys for 3 years now. They started out in a 55g tank, moved to a 90g bowfront, and are now in the 120g. I'm worried that I might have too few fish for the space, and now they are starting to pick each other off.

1 - mbuna - metriaclima greshakei
1 - mbuna - labidochromis caeruleus
1 - mbuna - pdeudotropheus demasoni
1 - mbuna - metriaclima estherae
1 - mbuna - metriaclima ??
1 - mbuna - pseudotrohpheus crabro
1 - mbuna - melanochromis auratus
1 - hap - nimbochromis livingstonii
1 - hap - sciaenochromis fryeri
1 - synodontis multipunctata
1 - bushy nose pleco

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
most likely the livingstonni is picking them off one by one. They are predators . I had one at one point who killed 6 fish before I realized who the culprit was. The fish in the photo above looks like injuries due to fighting . I bet you it was the nimbochromis

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
I would agree that looks likes wounds, and your description also fits of everyone looking great and then all of a sudden a beat up fish.

I would also agree that it is likely the livingstonni. If any of your other fish had been the victim I would have said the auratus may have been the culprit, because they can be quite aggressive - which maybe he even picked the fight, who know? But I doubt the auratus self-inflicted.

goldmund

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Thanks guys, it's a bummer but I'm pretty sure you are both right. I haven't seen any fighting, but he's definitely the boss of the tank and who knows what they get up to when I'm gone. I'll hate having to rehome him, but I don't see another option. Here's a pic of the culprit.

DSC_6891.jpg by meramsey, on Flickr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store