Help with 200 Gallon!

toeknee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
Chicago
So i have been running my new 200 gallon fish tank along with a newly established rena filstar xp3 and eheim 2217 canister filters since saturday 4/19/14. i placed about 100 gallons worth of new water, the remaining 100 gallons are from my 55 tank, which has a few piranhas in it, along with my 29 gallon tank that is currently housing my baby (2 and a half inch) silver arowana and (3 inch) black ghost knife fish (they've been there for a week). so essentially, 100 gallons were well cycled and the remaining 100 weren't. the tank was finally filled last night, the HOB filter from the 29 gallon tank was also placed on the 200 gallon to help with the bacteria growth. I've tested the water and all seems well, is it safe to say that the cycling of the 200 tank was sped up? can i place the aro and black ghost in their new tank?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
placing old tank water in a new tank does not do anything except add nitrate to the tank, witch you do not want. the bacteria lives on a surfaces, not in the water itself. I really dowt the smaller filter you put in will do much unless you add fish slowly and let the new filters cycle up. I would cycle up the tank before adding anything large.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
re-read the post, should be fine, no fish bigger than a 2.5"? yes?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Well water doesnt harbor any beneficial bacteria so that wont help cycle it but moving the filter over sure will. I would cut up the filter pads and stick them into the eheim and xp3. They'll help start the cycle better not just relying on the little hob with minimal flow. But if they were all in this 29 gallon then you should have enough bb to sustain them. Moving existing filters will give you an instant cycle but when dealing with nearly 7 times the volume it might take a bit for the little hob to move enough water to convert toxins to nitrate.

Edit typo haha

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
I'm confused.

First of all, you don't cycle water in a freshwater system. Cycling refers to establishment of beneficial bacteria which grows on bio media in a filter, and other rocks , etc. not free floating in water. The only benefit of transferring water is not to shock the fish by a rapid change in parameters.

If you set up a few filter a few days ago, it is not cycled. It takes longer than a few days.

If your 29 gallon HOB is actually cycled, and you are really just putting in 2 small fish, it might be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

toeknee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
Chicago
I forgot to mention that i also bought some of that "quick start" liquid and added that along with 10 tetras to help bacterial growth. the largest fish would be the 3 inch black ghost.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
agreed dan, putting the media cut up in the canister would be more beneficial. Hob more mech, not bio filters.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I'm confused.

First of all, you don't cycle water in a freshwater system. Cycling refers to establishment of beneficial bacteria which grows on bio media in a filter, and other rocks , etc. not free floating in water. The only benefit of transferring water is not to shock the fish by a rapid change in parameters.

If you set up a few filter a few days ago, it is not cycled. It takes longer than a few days.

If your 29 gallon HOB is actually cycled, and you are really just putting in 2 small fish, it might be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Im pretty sure you cycle freshwater tanks lol...

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
put the quick start in your toilet its the wrong bacteria, great for a septic system, ans some folks have success reducing filter sludge but not going to help cycle your tank, it is probiodic

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I would say go for it, but like said earlier it would be better to throw the media from the small hob into one of the canisters. I'm sure either way you would be fine, considering it it such a small bio-load as compared to tank size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store