Suggestions for native plants

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm setting up a 20 long (30" x 12" x 12") native tank over the weekend and need some plant suggestions. Before you suggest anything the stock is going to be a single green sunfish, which I'm thinking should be fine with plants but I'm not 100%. My params are...temperature will be 64-82 F, pH is 7.6, lighting will be standard whatever comes with the hood on for 6 hours, substrate is loose gravel. I'm looking for some VERY hardy plants, I'm using them to help me make sure I don't get any ammonia spikes because I'm just setting up the tank and letting it run for a day then adding fish so they have to be able to withstand at least a small amount of ammonia, I'll be using all preseeded gravel and a seeded sponge filter from my 75 gallon plus plants to help even more, not to mention I'll only have one small fish in it with frequent water changes. I'll also be adding java moss which I know isn't native but I'm just using it as an ammonia filter until the tank is well established then it's coming out. I'm looking for plants I can find at the majority of LFSs and if possible are native even more specifically to Pennsylvania.

Thanks for the help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store