Trout Question

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Anyone know what the highest water tempertaure they can heathly live at? Possibly thinking of putting a one in a 100 gallon tank.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Very hard to do from what I understand. About 60 degrees would be where you'd want to be at. These guys require constant moving water otherwise they will become prone to illness. The water quality must be immaculate as well. Generally most suggestions i have heard in the past is 200g min. I heard heard of it done never seem it other than at Cabelas. Also the water needs to be highly aerated. Youll need a chiller, powerheads, and an awesome filtration unit. I've seem this question asked many times as trout are beautiful and interesting fish. However far more knowledgeable people than I generally answer the question about keeping trout the same way, dont. If you have the gumption and wherewithal it can be done. I have heard brook trout are the best to try this with. They are extremely territorial as well. I wouldn't attempt thisas I know I do not have the funds or the knknowledge to properly create the ecosystem required to properly house trout. I know even in Ohio where we have steelhead in Lake Erie (Rainbow Trout) it is extremely difficult to keep them even in a large pond. Typically a natural or artificial stream is required to maintain a healthy population. I hope this helps.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I had an idea a while back for a "high-tech" trout tank that I could eventually get into and might wind up doing, but not for a while. My idea was to make it like a realistic stream: have a chiller, powerhead, and the filter outtake all in the same direction to simulate clean water flow then have the filter intake behind them. But getting back to the question the warmest I'd personally go to keep them happy would be 55-60 F.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
They will be happy at low 60s. You do need lot of currents and high oxygenated water. Cold water hold oxygen better than the warm water. Also do you have a basement that is always cool even at middle of summer? You can set up aquarium in the basement.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Luckily my basement stays relatively cool all summer. I will probably still need a chiller just to stay on the safe side. I will definitely load it up with power heads to make some current. I will probably end up getting either a brownie or rainbow trout.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Luckily my basement stays relatively cool all summer. I will probably still need a chiller just to stay on the safe side. I will definitely load it up with power heads to make some current. I will probably end up getting either a brownie or rainbow trout.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
From what I've heard from friends who work at hatcheries and what I've seen on trout streams I've noticed that brownies can tolarate slightly higher temps and less current than bows or brookies. However it's still good to have a chiller, if you can afford one, which is the reason I don't have a trout tank :)

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Brown trout do tolerate slightly warm temperatures, that's why they are stocked in degraded brook trout streams where brook trout used to thriving. But they are super territorial. Tiger trout tolerate warm temperatures better than browns.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Rebel,in your opinion what would be the ideal setup for trout? I've read a lot of your posts and comments in the past prior to becoming a member, you generally have been right on the money.

Hope_WA

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2014
Washington State
Brook trout would be a good choice because they just don't get as big. A giant brookie is about a foot long. There are 20+ lb. brown trout in a lake near my family's cabin but they are nearly impossible to catch. Rainbows get big too. My mom caught a 14lb. rainbow. I can't remember if it was in Lake Coeur D' Alene or Lake Pend Oreille.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I believe you can get away without using chiller if the temperature (assuming its in the basement) has been stable for year round and the water temperature stays at 60-68*F. The problem is that trout do not tolerate other tankmates so they are either being solo fish or keeping with other trout in trios or more. Brown and tiger trout are piscivorous and will attempt to eat other trout if that trout is smaller than brown/tiger trout. Trout seems happy in these areas where the powerhead at and always keep the water oxygenated and aerated. Make sure you have some extra aerators in case if the basement gets a little warm and the trout is in distress. You should feed them high protein type foods since they are carnivores, not omnivores. Trout do like have some space for swimming around. Personally I would think a brook trout is perfect candidate for smaller tanks since they are smaller than rainbow and brown trout. Not mentioned that a brook trout is more colorful than bows and browns. Keep the water stays clean as trout do not tolerate poor quality water very well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store