470 gallon build on the horizon!! Filtration advice needed

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I'll be renovating my room soon to fix all the punch holes in the wall from my angry youth (better to break a wall then someone's jaw imo lol) so I'll be building my 7x3x3 while that happens, my first plan for filtration wasn't good seeing I was going off someone's word that a 2217 would filter up to 160 gallons, so I planned on 2 of them with an assortment of large sponge filters, power heads with prefilters and huge pothos bushes.

So would 2 2262s (eheims), a 2217, the assortment of power heads and sponge filters (planning on ateast 3 of each), huge pothos bush, and an appropriate UV sterilizer do well for a decently stocked tank?

Initial stock will for sure be
2x teugelsi bichirs
1 ornate bichir
1 weeksii bichir
2x CB endli
1 palmas polli
1 p. Buettokoferri bichir
1 delhezi
2x 3 bar indo days
1 Orino pbass
1 red wolf
1 huge role fish
1 a. Stalsbergi

As the bigger guys grow the smaller guys will be placed in a separate tank, to be replaced by

1 hoplias sp. (Hoping for a lacerdae, iguazu or curupria)
Some lower jaw bichir (hoping for dabola, PBB, congicus, ansorgii)
Possibly a smaller stingray (such as a male reticent or hystrix) but based on what input over been given so far probably not
Leichhardt arowana
hopefully a VATF or TATF
Arapaima (jk!)
Larger pike cichlid, hopefully marmorata, lenticulata, or zebrina if I can afford it lol

I am a bit OCD about my water params, I check daily and if 10 ppms even show do a WC. If that factors in at all.

Anything I should change?

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
Why not do a sump along with the 2 2262 Eheims then call it a day?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
My rooms on the second floor so I'm slightly worried about the weight combo of the 470 and another tank right under it.. My family built this house so I'm going to ask my uncle about it who foremaned the build. If he gives the OK then I more then likely will include a sump.

Is all this over filtration really required? I keep getting recommended to double or triple the filtration in respect to the tank volume, before I put a 2217 on my 70 I never really over-filtered and never had problems with some pretty stocked tanks

professor_rob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Sump is best bet (if possible) as it is pretty flexible and you can change to suit your needs. You can chuck the pothos in there, use filter socks as they can work wonders, put in crushed coral as a ph buffer, set up an auto water changer or just change media very easily to suit. Not sure if you have any experience with a sump but depending on how they are set up they can be noisy which is no good for a bedroom. Make sure your sump planning/researching incorporates the noise aspect as many overlook it (esp for a bedroom).

I am no sump expert but it took some effort getting my sump set up correctly doing all that I listed above, but once set efficiently and doing auto water changes (nitrates at 0ppm) it is an awesome feeling.

I would also use a canister filter just to compliment the sump and a bit of a redundancy.

Good luck should be an awesome tank for the bedroom, like to see it when done (tank not bedroom :) )

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
By noise do you mean water running? Or just like humming? I love the sound of water running I have HOBs on a 10 ga, 30 ga, and 70 ga all in my room haha so that won't bother me much. I'm doing a lot of research into them now, if I can find some old scratched up 55 or 40 for cheap I feel that would be ideal or would you recommend larger? I like the look of pothos growing out of the top but I'll put some in both why not lol

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
IMO a moving bed filter / sump is the most efficient means of filtering a large tank. Use filter socks as your mechanical and a large air pump to "boil" your media. I use K1 Kaldness myself. With enough air diffusion and volume you can use 60% media and 40% water. With 100 liters of K1 you can process the waste of approximately 55lb of fish feeding 1.5% of feed by body weight. (this is my personal set up using a 100 gallon sump) many different designs are on here and the web for you to research what fits your needs and budget.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
You better do some serious support under that floor. Your talking roughly 2 tons of weight.
That's true. Most residential structures were not made to carry that kind of weight on second story. Unless your uncle is an engineer, I would say forget it unless you are ready to tear out ceilings below to reinforce. Even then it may not be feasible.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
You better do some serious support under that floor. Your talking roughly 2 tons of weight.
There's no way a second floor is going to handle that kind of weight.
My 210 started to bow the floor in my house.
As for filtration, I use an ultima 11 4000, a 150 gal. Sump with plants, and a drip system and still don't think it's enough.
A bio reactor is next.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store