Umbee questions?

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
About a month ago I got a few (7) of the 1" umbee fry animal guy was selling. All are doing well and the smallest is around 2". I did a search for threads about umbee on here and didn't see much about the actual care for grow outs. I've been doing weekly water changes of 40-60% and feeding 3-4 times a day. What would be the best water temp to grow them out at? What are the best foods for optimum growth? At what size should I begin to worry about con specific aggression? At what size will I be able to sex them and what are the identifiers for male and female? I'm hoping for a male, but a pair would be even better. Once they are large enough they'll be moving to my 300g.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
About a month ago I got a few (7) of the 1" umbee fry animal guy was selling. All are doing well and the smallest is around 2". I did a search for threads about umbee on here and didn't see much about the actual care for grow outs. I've been doing weekly water changes of 40-60% and feeding 3-4 times a day. What would be the best water temp to grow them out at? What are the best foods for optimum growth? At what size should I begin to worry about con specific aggression? At what size will I be able to sex them and what are the identifiers for male and female? I'm hoping for a male, but a pair would be even better. Once they are large enough they'll be moving to my 300g.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
What size tank are they in now? If you want faster growth keep temp up around 83, feed a variety of quality pellets, frozen krill, and frozen bloodworms as treats couple times a week. I would do at least two water changes a week if feeding more than twice a day:) increase oxygen and enjoy. The aggression starts around 2" but isn't bad till around 3.5-4" the more space the better. IMO I would start them alll out in the 300g.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
Thank you, Right now they are in a 40 breeder that is planted, AC 70 filtration with a surface skimmer and has a large air stone. Temp has been 82 since I got them and I have been feeding a variety of pellets, cichlid gold, nls, crushed massivore and frozen brine shrimp. Now that they are bigger I've also added giving them red worms that have been cut up for easier eating. The reason for not starting them in the 300 is they are still small enough to get through the teeth on the overflow and end up in the sump. Once they reach 3-4" I'll move them to the 300g which with the way they've been eating might be in less than a month. I'll up the water changes to twice a week to be safe. So far parameters have been good, but they are getting bigger thus producing more waste.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store