125 Gallon Predator Tank

boym8087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
Hawaii
Aloha,

First post on this site, happy to be a part of it. I'm making my first post to show my 125 gallon predator tank. First off, a little back story to myself, I've been keeping fish off and on since I was 13, I am now 28, so around 15 years. I started with a simple betta tank, then went to freshwater, and finally saltwater. After about a year without a tank, my current roommates moved out, which now allows me to build a tank. I started a 40B in Feb, with a 29G quarantine. Within two weeks, picked up this 125 off of craigslist for a great deal. The CL post said it was a 180, but after measuring it a month or two after getting it, I realized it was a 125. Moved all live rock and substrate from the 40 to the 125. Currently looking into DIY tanks for my roommates' old room, or a nice deal on CL if I can find one. It's kinda hard to get bigger tanks out here, because shipping to Hawaii is ridiculously expensive, especially with the size of a 200+ tank. Anyways, on to my setup. I currently have a 125, with a HOB emperor power filter (no bio balls though, and I change one of the filterpads every two weeks), two remora s HOB protein skimmers (one rated for a 55-75, the other for a 75-125), and am currently building a sump out of a 40B, which I'll use for my equipment once its done. Currently in my 29G I have two fish, a Red Emperor Snapper and a Panther Grouper. In my 125G, I have four eels. I have a 10" snowflake, a 10' undulated moray, a 1'5" yellow-headed or barred moray (not sure which), and a 2' white mouth moray. Inverts include about 20 zebra hermits, about 10 trochus snails, one anemone crab, and one reef lobster. Looking to add some sort of trigger as well.

Thanks for checking my post out.

boym8087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
Hawaii
Alright, so I'll try and go through each picture from top to bottom.

1. Picture taken today of my white mouth moray eel. I had just bought a 5'' Niger Trigger. Acclimated it, put it in, left to go take care of some things. Came home, was looking for it, couldn't find it. Started to feed my eels, when the white mouth wouldn't eat. Figured out why when he popped a bit more out. If you look at his stomach, you can see that he ate the trigger!

2. Current 29G fish, panther grouper and red emperor snapper.

3. Close up of my undulated moray, he likes to hang behind the pvc of all places.

4. White mouth swimming around, easily the most active eel I've owned. Always out and about and swimming all over. If you look on the rocks, you can see the anemone crab on the rocks.

5. Reef Lobster. If you look closely you can see he's eating half of a yellow tailed damsel. Although I put them in as feeders for my morays, hoping they'd distract them from the trigger, the lobster got one of them first.

6. Yellow-headed or banded moray, the most shy of the four, always in pvc or behind that rock.

7. Whole tank

8. White mouth out in the open.

boym8087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
Hawaii
Thanks guys.. Can't wait till the smaller fish get big enough to put in my bigger tank..

There are some fab shops here, but they end up costing pretty much the same as if I were to buy one online.. The shipping is just ridiculous.. A custom 125 with plumbing costs a little over $1500, not including stand, skimmers, sump, etc.. Craigslist I found has the best deals.. I recently found a 16' tank for 7K with stand.. How awesome would that be??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

boym8087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
Hawaii
Newest addition to the tank.. Clown Grouper.. Tried putting him in my 29 grow tank, but the panther grouper started going after him.. Ate my last damsel last night and the eels haven't shown any interest in eating him (maybe because they know he's poisonous??) so it's so far so good.. I did have an Aussie harlequin tusk ordered as well, came in yesterday but jumped out of my LFS tank, so that'll have to wait..

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store