6x2x2 high ammonia

G Robbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2013
Australia
i guys iv had my*6x2x2*tank for about 4 months now, i have 3xsilver dollar and a 30cm jardini. my filtration is 2x hopar 2200 l/h canisters, i do a 25% water change once a week but i cant get my ammonia below .25ppm and by the end of the week its back up to 1.0ppm. my tap water has 0 ammonia, can someone with any ideas help me out thanks Grant

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Well you said 4 months so you're almost definitely cycled I can assume. Try putting in some plants, java moss is a good "ammonia-sponge".

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
How are you cleaning your filters? Do you use a water conditioner when doing wc

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
Are you using a water conditioner for your water changes to remove the chlorine? If not you could be destroying the beneficial bacteria and your tank will be starting over from day 1 again. What are your nitrates and nitrites sitting at? Are you over feeding? Just trying to help you narrow down the possibilities.

G Robbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2013
Australia
Im using prime but im dosing the whole tank then adding water could this be the problem. Nitrite 0 and nitrate 5.0

I C Mud

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2014
Winnipeg
If you are adding the correct amount and you do not aim your hose towards the filter you should be fine there. How about the feeding and filter changes. Are you cleaning the filter(s) with tank water?

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
I see you said you ad your chlorine remover to the tank then dump the water in. I have allways added it in the water outside the tank and let it mix in a bit before adding the water to the tank. Idk how other ppl do. Just telling you what I have allways done.

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I see you said you ad your chlorine remover to the tank then dump the water in. I have allways added it in the water outside the tank and let it mix in a bit before adding the water to the tank. Idk how other ppl do. Just telling you what I have allways done.

Sent from my LGL55C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
If he is filling from a hose that is kind of hard to do.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
You should not consistently have ammonia. How often and how much do you feed and what are you doing with the filters when you do the WC? I'm thinking one of 3 things:

1) false readings, although since they change, that seems unlikely
2) you are removing BB at every WC which could cause this behavior
3) you are feeding so infrequently that the BB are dieing off during the week

Your nitrates are really low for someone doing only 25% WC weekly. Do you have plants or purigen?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store