Eartheater HELP!!!!!!

shawe1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2013
Hertfordshire, England
I have been keeping eartheaters for some time in community set ups with smaller fish and am struggling to get a relaxed combination going on.

I write this out of frustration as I am currently sitting next to my 100g set up and watching my fish just chase each other around continuously and its driving me mad.

The stock consists of the following mix of eartheaters

Satanoperca Leucosticta x1 at 7inch
Satanoperca Jurupari x1 at 3inch
Geophagus Orangehead Tapajos x2 at 3inch
Geophagus Altifrons x2 at 5inch and 2.5 inch

The problems seem to be between the smaller fish. The small altifrons chases both orangeheads and the jurupari, one orangehead chases the other (bad) and also 'fronts' the bigger altifrons. No one bothers the large Leucousticta. I have a dwarf pike in there also and some corries and tetras to create distractions but nothing is working.

There was a time when this mix of fish got on fine for about a month and now its complete agro!

Any advice?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
I have been keeping eartheaters for some time in community set ups with smaller fish and am struggling to get a relaxed combination going on.

I write this out of frustration as I am currently sitting next to my 100g set up and watching my fish just chase each other around continuously and its driving me mad.

The stock consists of the following mix of eartheaters

Satanoperca Leucosticta x1 at 7inch
Satanoperca Jurupari x1 at 3inch
Geophagus Orangehead Tapajos x2 at 3inch
Geophagus Altifrons x2 at 5inch and 2.5 inch

The problems seem to be between the smaller fish. The small altifrons chases both orangeheads and the jurupari, one orangehead chases the other (bad) and also 'fronts' the bigger altifrons. No one bothers the large Leucousticta. I have a dwarf pike in there also and some corries and tetras to create distractions but nothing is working.

There was a time when this mix of fish got on fine for about a month and now its complete agro!

Any advice?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
In my 240 I have 4 Altifrons, 1 Jupari. The Altifrons seem to always nip at each and other times they will fight and lip lock. It's been going on for almost year and they're still going. Think it's normal behavior for them. I have 2 red heads in my 120 and the alpha one is always picking on the other. Don't think dithers will help since you already tried.

Hopefully someone with more experience will shed some light on the subject.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I would get rid of the altifrons and get 3 more tapajos.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I am not sure since I haven't kept geo but do plan on adding some to my next tank and was told that some geo's need to be in a school and some don't not sure if that helps but maybe look into that

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Even if they are Geos they are still SA cichlids, given to chasing and nipping each other no matter what really. My brasiliensis quarreled amongst themselves often, my gymnos and threadfins did the same. As has any other sa cichlid I've kept. Its a cichlid thing lol I think it would lessen if you stuck to one specie though, they'd figure out a pecking order and wouldn't be quite as harsh to one another

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Like discus, younger geophagus tend to do best in a group so the aggression gets spread around a bit. I have a group of four orangeheads but preferably it'd be six. If you have two, you're probably going to see the dominant fish constantly bully and harass the submissive fish.

Altifrons are a bit more aggressive than orangeheads, so it doesn't surprise me that they'd be nippy with more peaceful geos. Altifrons are also large-growing so keep that in mind.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with the above, I always try to keep any Geophagines in single species groups of at least 5, preferably more . Doesn't matter Gymnogeophagus, Guinanacara, or Geophagus, still nippy, but no serious aggression in larger groups. I must admit I'am a bit Geo obsessed though.
I also feel in those groups they look more natural, at the moment I have half dozen Gymngeophagus balzani together.

in another tank, a group of 10 Guianacara owruwefi, with Acarichthys heckelli

and a group of 8 Gymnogeophagus quilero with other temperate Uruguayans

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
I've learned from the past and I never get less than 7 of most fish I keep. Only exceptions are loner or super aggressive guts then they either have a tank to themselves or a divided tank. All of my geos currently are groups of 8 or more. Although not guaranteeing aggression but, mostlikely to be incheck. My advice would be to get rid of either the altifrons or tapajos and to add to the group you keep.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store