From Quarantine to Invert tank

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
Hello,
My name is Sean. I have a 30 gallon reef that has been up ad running for a little over a year now and I am almost done with fish stocking (nowhere near done with corals...). Currently I have my 2 Ocellaris clowns for fish and I am planning on getting a Helfrichi Firefish. As for corals, I have a zoa rock, some assorted palys, acans, stylophora, discosoma, ricordeas and a torch. But what I am here to discuss is the repurposing of my 10 gallon quarantine tank. After I get the Helfrichi, I want to put some sand and a few rubble rocks in it and some novelty inverts such as a pom-pom crab (I have one in my show tank but I barely ever see him and he is so fun to watch) or some sort of small urchin (as I have an arcylic tank). So a couple questions... When I put the live sand and dead rock, will the tank begin to cycle again? Would you recommend an urchin for a 10 gallon tank (provided that I supply some supplemental algae such as nori sheets)? What other cool inverts would you recommend for a 10 gallon invert only tank?
Thanks
~Sean

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Yes and no - the live sand will jump start the cycling with ammonia however it will take 4-8 weeks , maybe even longer, for enough bacteria to grow on dry rock to safely support life, your better off doing one third live rock - still will have to cycle for a few weeks. You've been reefing for a year - you'll be fine.

I always liked Halloween hermits, could never keep one for long as the red legs would eat them.

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I really like the Halloween hermit, I might just have to get one or two of them, also, I forget how many lbs. Of sand I got for my big tank and I would like to know how much is suggested for a 10 gallon
Thanks for taking the time to reply!
~Sean

Sent from my XT1030 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sharkfinsean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
Baltimore, MD
I have found a medication that will not harm inverts so this should not be a problem.

Sent from my XT1030 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LSUFireGal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2014
Houston, TX
You cannot use antibiotics in a reef at all and the meds that are reef safe are not often effective. About the only thing that works and is reef safe is prazipro for flukes. Also you may want to isolate sick fish so they don't fall prey to tank mates. There is a reason people have dedicated treatment tanks on hand. Just prepared to but another one down the line if you don't save it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store