Is a Fluval FX6 overkill on a 120gallon tank?

MarvGT

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2014
United Kingdom
Pretty much what the title says. Looking into getting a 120 gallon tank at 5 foot long and want to buy a fluval filter. The 405 doesn't seem to cut it and can't find anything in-between. Would a fx6 be too much turnover?

Will be planning to stock mainly CA/SA cichlids.

Cheers

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Imo no. It will just give you more breathing room before having to clean the filter.

madevilghost

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2014
Rich Man's Island
For tanks above 4 feet, a sump tank would be advisable as it can hold significantly more media and is very easy to maintain.
However, FX6 seems reasonable if your bioload is not that high. Eg. Keep smaller fishes

Gyarados

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2014
Lower Slower Delaware
I'm running an Fx6 on a 90g with a 5.5" midas and a 9" centro catfish. And though I'm feeding very heavy I still notice the water getting noticeably cloudy after a week without WC (usually do 2x75%/week). If you stock that 120 with reasonable size fish you may find yourself looking for a HOB on top of the Fx6.

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
I'm running an Fx6 on a 90g with a 5.5" midas and a 9" centro catfish. And though I'm feeding very heavy I still notice the water getting noticeably cloudy after a week without WC (usually do 2x75%/week). If you stock that 120 with reasonable size fish you may find yourself looking for a HOB on top of the Fx6.
try not feeding so much lol

MarvGT

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2014
United Kingdom
Unfortunately a sump is a no go as I don't have the space hence the canister filter. I appreciate that too much filtration isn't a bad thing but it was the flow I was worried about. Is the flow adjustable or would the fish be able to handle that much output in that size tank?
And also, could any FX6 owners out there give me an idea on what I should be using as media in one of these. Is what it comes with enough?

Cheers

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Pretty much what the title says. Looking into getting a 120 gallon tank at 5 foot long and want to buy a fluval filter. The 405 doesn't seem to cut it and can't find anything in-between. Would a fx6 be too much turnover?

Will be planning to stock mainly CA/SA cichlids.

Cheers

I actually just added an FX6 to my 4' 120. It now has that and an XP1 running through a 36w UV also. Extreme overkill but crystal clear water...

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
I use a FX6 on a 75G and flow is no issue. You could easily use two FX6s on a 120 and flow would not be an issue. As for media, in my FX6s I use Seachem Matrix in the bottom two trays, topped with the included foam, with filter floss and Purigen in the top tray. Works great.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Make a spray bar to spread the flow out and will be perfect size. I have an Eheim 2262 which is almost double @ 900 GPH on a 125. I think it's perfect but plan on making spray bar longer.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store