clutching at straws....

scarysdad

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2005
Scotland,UK
It is with a heavy heart I post this.....but I am not going to be 'Scarysdad' for much longer I fear....
'Scary' christened by my wife is my very first fish, I rescued him 11 years ago as my mom was going to flush the 3" bugger for eating her neons, I had no clue what he was back then but he sparked an interest that has become nothing short of an obsession these days...turned out he was a Tilapia Mariae, he has been residing for the past 9 years by himself in a 60 gal tank. He has never in that time been ill, so when he suddenly went off his food 7 weeks ago I assumed he was 'cleaning' himself out...I was used to his periodic 'detoxes' where he not eat for a day or 2 then just resume again like nothing had happened. When this went on for a week I tried diversifying his food a little.....he loves bloodworm but I hate feeding it as I know it causes constipation(I only use it to start new 'babies' eating 'dead' food), I gave in and fed it a couple of times it was all he would take....then he even stopped taking that he would spit it out shaking his head as if it was causing him pain. So I added some Epsom salt to the tank thinking he might be constipated, this produced a normal(if a little light in color) faeces. Still not eating so I did a course of Octozin(Metro based UK med), still nothing we are now over a fortnight with no food, no other symptoms of anything present - fish appears and behaves normal. Another course of the Octozin still nothing but now he is producing clear thread like faeces(I am presuming intestinal mucous and lining cells since no food in belly plus Epsom), so I upped the ante treated with the Met med for 9 days straight(3 courses back to back)...still not eating. After some research I decided to try a med which would kill parasites and worms so I used a Flubendazole based med...2 doses of that (after waiting 4 days from the last Met treatment and 50% w/c), still nothing. I did another few w/c now we are at week 6 without food...it was during a change I noticed his eyes were a little poppy and he was a little swollen around the belly....alarm bells started going off...this signals ascites to me within 24 hrs he was vertical(pressure on the swim bladder I am assuming) eyes bulging and very swollen belly....I did another w/c added more Epsom(double what was in there before) to try and reduce the fluid pressure and began treating with a swim-bladder disease remedy(this contains formaldhyde and Bronopol as the active ingredients) as I knew now I am dealing with a bacterial internal infection and in all probability organ breakdown. It is here I am just now....he is no longer vertical but upside down on the bottom still swollen eyes and belly(maybe a little reduced), his respiration is surprisingly normal(usually at this stage I would expect laboured breathing due to pressure of fluid around the lungs. Reading on here on advanced ascites it advocates treating with Met and Epsom to get the fluid out...so wondering whether to stop the antbacterial meds and go back to Met.....as my thread title suggests I know I am 'clutching' at straws...I know he is on his way out I just want to know I have done everything possible for him...finding it difficult even to type this it is heart wrenching to see that big strong fish reduced to this....I know age gets everything in the end his immune system was obviously declining that this all began....but it is so hard to let go...this fish would actually 'greet' me when I got in by shimmying up and down the tank.....it is not right to love a fish this much...
So any advice on whether the Metro switch will do anything welcomed......
Scary its been a blast thanks for 11 years of education...

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Sorry I cant give any useful advice, but I hope scary pulls through. I know many outside the hobby dont view fish like other pets, but we know differently. Hope he pulls through and lives another 11 years in your care. GL

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
At this point in time, anything goes.

Send a PM to Aquanero in any case, he is savy in, among others, this field.

You did your best, anyway!

EricNguyen

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2014
Evanston IL
I think he is getting there for expiration date so I think you should just spend your last moment with him instead of dosing the tank of medications that he doesn't need. He been with you for a long time so it is right to feel this way. Hope you feel better.

scarysdad

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2005
Scotland,UK
This is the problem....don't want to stress him out....just feel so damn helpless....I know I've done everything I can but I still feel so guilty every time I lose a fish...and this one its x1000

scarysdad

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2005
Scotland,UK
thanks amber

scarysdad

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2005
Scotland,UK
Sorry to report he passed away last Saturday...been pretty upset so not been near the forum...thanks for your support guys...he was a one-off, his legacy is the hobby for me...if I had never 'rescued' him I wouldn't have the 7 tanks I have now and this addiction we call a hobby....tho I would have a happier wife and healthier bank balance but that's a whole other thread..
I have put some grow-out snooks and bass in his tank....its weird not seeing him up at the glass every time I walk past...but I didn't want his filter to 'die' and these guys are ectstatic with the extra room....
I lost a 7 year old Ocellaris back in November to an eye injury, now this I swear I look 10 years older, but then I look at the babies growing up and some of my other old timers' doing great and my heart swells with pride....talk about a see-saw..
Seriously missing him though.....

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I'm sorry for your loss. But, please understand that the normal life expectancy for this species is about 8 years. This was simply his time and no effort was going to change the outcome. You should instead feel some pride in having provided Scary with a level of care that allowed him to surpass his normal life by a long stretch. While I'm sympathetic to your feelings of loss (I've been there myself) I feel it's more appropriate to offer congratulations to the excellent husbandry you offer to your pets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store