stump/log question

sonicrx

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2008
illinois
is it possible to get a stump or a cool looking branch outside in my yard or by a stream and pop it into the tank? what would i need to do to prepare it for the tank? thanks

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Probably will want to try to boil it somehow. Either a big pot or 55g steel drum on a fire. At the least id pour really hot water over it and let it sit a bit. Also recommend wire brush and pressure washing

sonicrx

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2008
illinois
i would find dead pieces so there would be no bark. i probably would not be able to boil it . I have no 55 gal drums available. i could soak in hot water in the tub,and i do have a pressure washer,but will that be enough ? i have a couple huge expensive fish i don't want to lose .

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I think it makes a difference if you are taking a dry piece of wood or one from a river. Something thats been dead and dry I wouldnt worry so much about but something wet would worry me about introducing something. If you search there are many threads on this and ive been a bit reckless in the past when id just pressure wash and toss it in. Since those days I just order my pieces from manzman in the vendor section

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
I've always been fine with a wire brush and a HOT soak in the bath for for a couple hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I never had a problem with ditect in tank. As long as it is dead,mdry, and you do not worry about the mold.

One thing you can do is heat it in the oven for a couple of hours. If it is an electrical oven.

sonicrx

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2008
illinois
I have a gas stove and the pice i want looks very dry i was thinking since it would not fit in a pot of water or fit inside my oven i would soak it in boiling hot water for a little bit

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
also is there not types of wood that are poisonous? i may be wrong but i thought pine/fern tree sap was bad??

sonicrx

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2008
illinois
the trees i have by me are oak ,maple ,ash and some other i am not sure of but i would not put any types of pine tree branches in the tank . now i am worried about poisons lol are any of the trees i mentioned have that threat ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store