id on shark and advice

paddy10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2014
bristol
hey guys im new to this site and i belive ihave a coral catshark imate ordered a egg from LFS which are A1 experts and when it hatch it turned out it wasnt the one they ordered so i went up seen it and falt its mine and i believe its a coral catshark so a nice small species

just wanted to know whos got one and how are they for you and what other tank mates have you manged to keep with them

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
I don't see a pic anymore. Here are two pics of a coral catshark, the egg and the newly hatched pup. Is it this?

After you get it eating, keep up with it and make sure it gets enough to eat. They need to eat much more frequently as pups than as larger juveniles and adults. I'd keep it without tank mates until it can hold it's own for food and gets larger. When it gets larger, any fish that won't eat it that it can't swallow whole itself. I wouldn't keep it with puffers, angels, or butterflies that could potentially nip at it while it's resting. I got mine as adults and kept them with a small ray. I also kept them with a trio of lookdowns for a little while, but sold those off when I moved states. The sharks currently just reside with the ray. I always thought they were cooler by themselves anyway.

P1020268_zps9c55117e.jpg
P1020339_zpsf4a93ae5.jpg

P1020268_zps9c55117e.jpg

P1020339_zpsf4a93ae5.jpg

paddy10

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2014
bristol
yeah thats it mines only 2 weeks old he was feeding well in shop but in tank iv only manged to get him to eat a small bit off fish hoping i can see him eat today how big are yours
and how long does it take them to get big

irealy love him hes cool or her lol dont know how to tell and thanks for the reply its so much beter chatting to some one with a coral shark
oh and is he likely to eat live crab and shrimp

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
Try feeding what they were feeding in the shop if they were eating well. If you get it eating, keep it eating as they are vulnerable at that size. Other things to try are mysis shrimp, finely chopped squid, finely chopped table shrimp, chopped krill (like in cubes), ect. The pieces need to be small as they have small mouths at that size. They may have trouble trying to masticate large pieces.

They grow faster as pups and juveniles, but as larger juveniles to adults, the growth slows down. Mine are around 24", but I bought them that size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store