Aro hybrid? Is it possible?

SirCatfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
Brooklyn
I was just wondering, since rtc x paroon, tsn rtc, etc are becoming seemingly easier to produce and acquire. Does anyone know or have any thoughts on the probability of an Asian x silver Arowana hybrid? That would be legal correct? Since it's not actually an Asian. Any input would be helpful. Just wondering. But I think that would be a bad ass fish. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

reticstingray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2013
Oakland Gardens, New York
I was just wondering, since rtc x paroon, tsn rtc, etc are becoming seemingly easier to produce and acquire. Does anyone know or have any thoughts on the probability of an Asian x silver Arowana hybrid? That would be legal correct? Since it's not actually an Asian. Any input would be helpful. Just wondering. But I think that would be a bad ass fish. Lol

It is possible, since the catfish hybrids from Jurassic Aquatics were mostly lab created, this "aro hybrid" can also be created. It would take several or maybe hundreds of attempts. I don't think a pretty aro will result in these parents. I guess it would be legal because it is not 100% asian

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Hybrids usually take the legal status of the most endangered parent. This case, the asian.

Where did you get that information? I question that as there are cat hybrids of endangered animals that are completely legal in the US.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Where did you get that information? I question that as there are cat hybrids of endangered animals that are completely legal in the US.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Not always! Depends on the definition of hybrid or species status written in the laws. For example, all hybrids of larger constrictor snakes are illegal in some states, even if they are hybrid of one legal species and one illegal species. Wolfdogs, coydogs and coywolf are illegal in most states. Sometimes hybrids are treated like the pure species depends on which states. For example saugeye (hybrid of sauger and walleye) are included in the walleye limit and not sauger limit. Same deal with tiger muskellunge which is a hybrid, are treated like a pure muskellunge not a northern pike. You will not see a tiger muskellunge on a northern pike limit. Bison x cattle hybrids, yak x cattle hybrids and zebra hybrids will not fall in the domesticated animal category as they are treated like exotic animals depends on which states. Unfortunately most hybrids usually take the legal status of illegal said (or regulated) animal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store