My coral cat laid an egg.....

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
I got a coral cat about a month or so ago....She has been very shy and only comes out to eat at night (typical coral cat) well this morning I got a shock and found an egg in my tank. I know it was her because she is the only female shark in the tank. The others are males and horn sharks to boot. I don't know if she is out of the wild or tank as I got her from the lps...But now I have her egg and still waiting on y other coral cat pup to hatch any day....How long do the females carry their eggs before laying them. Could it possibly be viable or just a dud...im going to candle in a few days to see if I see any veining. Im so excited... I may get 2 coral cat pups....yayyyy

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
When they lay eggs, they are fairly transparent at first. Is there a visible yoke? If so, it is probably viable. Sharks can store sperm and produce viable eggs for a while without a male. For how long I'm not sure about.

My female lays eggs about every few weeks. I get somewhere between 2 - 4 a month, depending on how they land. They are usually laid in pairs, with the second one coming a few days to a week later. She has been without a male for about 10 weeks or so and is still producing viable eggs. Now if I could only find another mature male......

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
Thanks a Riley. I will get pics today to show. Hopefully I see something. Ill get a better look in a little while when I get back to the shop (were the sharks are)

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
My Epaulette hasn't been with a male since becoming sexually mature, and she lays blanks/duds a lot. It can happen in a single sex environment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store