Is there an easier way to clean black diamond for substrate

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
I have 100 lbs in a tote and ive been soaking and washing for 3 days and it still produces an oil slick. Any tricks or thoughts on getting it clear.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Do you live in a house, or apartment? The reason I ask is because most people that do live in a house tend to use the hose for washing substrate, I've seen people do it with Flourite. They'll put about 3-5 pounds of Flourite into a low profile rubbermaid container, and then let the hose run right into the container and it causes the small particles to wash right out of the Flourite. They'll do this to all of the Flourite until each "trial" runs clear water, then toss the cleaned substrate into an empty bucket, and then do another 3-5 pounds, and repeat until it's all been cleared out.

ChrisM101

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
Paris, AR,United States
Oh im in a house and doing it out on the concrete driveway with a hose, letting it settle a while and it clears up but still has a slick on top.

Ive heard of people washing it in pillow cases, which i may try today. I also may try the smaller batches.

I also wonder what the effect of something like dawn dish soap would have. And yes i know its a big no no for aquariums, but as much as im rinsing who knows.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse again. Never use soap. Mike's idea is on target. You can use containers or buckets and clean off a few pounds at a time. When the water runs over the top it will wash out the particulate. Stir it up when youre rinsing.

I've read about the oily appearance with black diamond on planted tank forums as well. Is what you're seeing actually oily? Or just floating particulates? I have caribsea black sand in a few of my tanks. There was particulate on the surface of the water, but it wasn't oily. I tilt the buckets very slightly when I rinse so anything on top comes out quickly. Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I like to put a portion of sand, or gravel substrate in a bucket, and use siphoning old water change water to rinse it, getting a twofer.
If I need to do it everyday for 2 times a day for 2 weeks until the gravel runs clear, to me its not wasting, because of the water change advantages to tank and fish health.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store