breeding stingrays

tomk2u

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
derbyshire
i bought a male and a female reticulated stingray yesterday and just wondered if anyone knew what age/size do they become sexually mature and are able to breed?

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I've been told at around 2 years they begin to breed, but thats for other rays. How large are they now?

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
A male might be ready a 2 but the female will likely take 3+. Your main concern at this point should be keeping them alive for many years. What are you feeding, tank size, filtration, water changes, etc.

tomk2u

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
derbyshire
yea im not wanting them to breed now or any time soon i was just asking a general question really
they are in a 5x2x2 at the moment will be moved to a 6x4x2 (LxWxH) when they are bigger currently on the 5x2x2 im running a 2000 lph external filter with a 4x1x18" sump parametres are Ph 7.2 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 sand substrate and 2 pieces of bogwood about 18 inch long fish in the tank are my sailffin pleco 6 giant danios and 5 red fin tin foil barbs and the 2 retic rays of cause i currently feed the rays live and frozen blood worm dried river shrimp and the occasional earthworm the only thing they havnt been bothered about food wise ive put in the tank was catfish pellets and a few feeder shrimp

bravobb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2014
Singapore
My female ray first birth is when she is around one year old.
Maybe she likes to eat alot, so she grows pretty fast to around 13 inches in a year.
Also the male is matured enough so things just happened.
Recently gave birth on 4th delivery.

fishlover14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
India
Hi all, I found a lot of good things to Learn here. I have a problem with my sting she has developed two black spots on her belly are they dangerous to her.See my album and advise please.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Mr. Allgood is correct. A female retic will need to be around 3 years of age to start breeding. Males can start as early as 2 years but commonly closer to 3 years as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store