Advice on a new 300 gallons setup

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
Alright fellow MFKers, I need your advice. I am going to purchase a new 300 gallons glass tank that hasn't been used yet. I was thinking about purchasing an entire used setup but after much thought, I want my next tank to look like a show tank. Reason is some of you guys tank made me drool, clean tank + cool fishes = awesomeness. I've has big tanks before but they were all used and a little bit up banged up. Keep in mind that I'm going to build this slow as 1) I don't have the $$$ available to purchase all equipment at once and 2) I don't have the room to set it up yet as I I have two other tanks. So the 300 gallons tank would be sitting covered up in my garage for at least 1 year.

I am not a DIY kinda guy. I break things more than I fix things to be honest. So building a stand is out of my reach with no carpentry skill. I would be getting a stand and canopy built. Filtration is a big topic I want to address. I want a sump, but I don't really know what kind. I've always had canisters and I want to make the switch to a sump since I believe it can provide a better filtration. I will also run a canister with it in case the sump fails or for extra filtration added. I think I could build a sump after doing more research, but I don't know what kind of sump best suits my taste. I know we all have different personal opinions on the "best sump" and all your feedbacks would be appreciated.

The tank that I would be purchasing soon is a glass tank, not tempered, not drilled and without an internal overflow. I want as little as possible any unaesthetic equipment in my tank unless it's hidden. Power heads, bulk heads and filtration intakes would be fine. Money-wise, I plan to spend $2000-$3000 on filtration, lightning, heater, power heads. I am also not looking at the top of the line equipment.

I would be starting to visit the LFS around to see what kind of sump system they have on their bigger tanks and more info. I don't know if I can trust every employee there though, since they may have not deal with tank projects as such, and might just try selling instead of helping. Again, any feedback is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Get a cheap 75-125 gallon tank to use as a sump get some filter socks get some bio media. Allot of different types available. I would put 1 or two overflows in the tank and call it great. You won't need to spend a million bucks on filtration for it to be great. Filter socks at about 7-10.00 each bio media at 100.00ish dollars and you will be great. Pick out a pump style you want and flow you want and you can get it all set up in no time. And just get a little larger pump vs power heads and that will keep your display tank looking much cleaner.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store