Air bubble in shark egg? Is that ok?

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
I candled by egg today (without taking it out of the water) The yolk is almost completely gone now. Only a tiny little piece on belly. So I am sure she will hatch soon. But there is an air bubble in the egg that wasn't there before. Is that normal. I don't know how it got there because I have never taken it out of the water. Will she be ok with it in there or do I have to worry about it?

shark egg.jpeg

Riley S

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2014
Minneapolis
You'll want to take care of that. Sometimes the way the water circulates, such as small bubbles in the return or aggresive surface agitation can make make air bubbles that work there way into the egg. To remove, position the egg with the slit facing up and gently massage the egg on the sides. The bubble will release.

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
got it. Tank you very much. Out of curiosity and future refurance what does the air bubble do anyway. Is it a bacteria issue or do they drown in the air so to speak?
?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Do you mean why is it a bad thing to have an air bubble?

The bubble can create a dead pocket of space that can be problematic. I've also seen embyo/pups get wedged in the eggcase with thier nose/gills in the air pocket. Worst case, they start gulping air, and end up with a bubble in the GI tract.

luv4scjjt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2012
upstate ny
That explains it. THank you. I did get the air bubble out thanks to Riley explaining how. Thank you zoo diver I was definatly asking as to the why. I am always up for more knowledge. Ill never stop learning. Its to fun.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store