Help me child proof my aquarium

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
I have a 2 year old that loves to put snacks in my aquarium. I only have a different types of FW shrimp and a blood parrot in there and she hasn't killed my fish yet but, I would like to child proof it some way. It's a 55g with glass Aqueon lids. Is there a way to put latches on the lids without it looking tacky? I have thought about just moving it to my room instead of the living room but I'm only in my room to sleep. I want to be able to enjoy it during the day. The only other place to put it is already occupied by my husbands aquarium...please give suggestions without telling me how to raise my kids ;)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kwall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Rockland, Maine
How does your two year old reach the tank? I have 16 month old and she can't reach my tanks because I have them on aquarium stands that put the top of my tanks at about mid chest level

Sent from my XT901 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
It's next to my couch. We have a sectional and with the way my living room is shaped it's the only place and it looks really nice where it is. Just curious if there's a way to add latches of some sort to the lids

Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 12 gilled babies

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
can try velcro.

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
Not a bad idea. I wonder if there's a way to hide them. Although it'll only be temporary so I suppose looks don't matter. Thank you

Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 12 gilled babies

habidash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2014
california
Super glue ducktape. But those don't look very attractive. .. iv tryedweighting the lid whith something decorative and heavy so ur child can't lift it . If the lid can take the Weight. Keep my red tail boa looked In like that for a while. Or try wedging something small in the gaps thats not very noticeable to make it harder to open.

ikkie78

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2010
Neenah, WI USA
What if you got those childproof locks they sell for refrigerators or ovens? You have the two ends that have two sided tape on them and then they just click together...my son is 18 months old and have them on the dishwasher and refrigerator...look like they might work well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store