540 Gal / Planning / Help me out?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
BIG change of plans. we're adding on to the house. tank just too big for the room, need bigger bathrooms, have too little closet space, so we're expanding. So the new room will have a 44 inch deep cabinetry on one wall--entire length of it. i'll have the cabinet guys build that around a steel stand that I'll order with a 540 Gal 96x44x30 custom acrylic tank. the front of the tank will be open, left side of the tank and back against the wall, and right side of the tank will have cabinetry 10-12 inches deep. Do I just do what I originally intended, put overflow boxes inside the tank? Or do I run the overflows hidden in that cabinet to the right of the tank? And, if I ever had to, how would I remove the sump from the cabinet underneath the tank? Of course, since this will be a new room, they'll be putting me a drain and water line for auto water changer--in the cabinet under the tank with the sump, right? If I ever need to get that sump out, how would I do it once the cabinetry is installed all around the stand?
Room_Plan.jpg

Room_Plan.jpg

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Bi-Fold Cabinet Doors?
See, that's what I'm talkin' about. I don't know what that is. Do they open up or something? Hinged on the top? Little ideas like this. This helps...now, when a real cabinetmaker comes in here, I can propose something sensible like this to him and sound like I'm somewhat conversant in cabinetry and home improvement...:) That's probably totally obvious to you, but it's a HUGE help to me...Thanks!

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
Bi-fold doors would be hinged to work like a folding closet door, they would be a good choice. Have your sump, or maybe sumps, sized to fit through the legs of your stand and the folding doors sized to match. Another option would be to make the sump so that it can slide out the right side of the stand and build the right side cabinets with an opening and folding doors to match. Another door option, depending on size needed, is to have a false stile between two doors. This way the center board in the opening moves with one of the doors, in place of staying in a fixed position. A half decent custom cabinet maker should have no problem coming up with an option that fits your needs. If they cannot figure it out find a better cabinet maker. If you lived in Colorado I could recommend one of the best I have ever known. Just thought of something else that might work well. Have a false front made that looks like the right number of doors but can be removed in one piece. I have worked with similar kinds of fronts on whirlpool bathtubs and they work great for looks and providing maximum access to work on plumbing.

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
under my 500, I had to build my sump in place. I could get the glass in but I couldn't get the sump in if it were together. the problem was the weight of the tank and the small openings I had to get the sump in. if I did it again, I'd use 2 smaller sumps and I'd make a false front as described above.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Would you just go with overflow boxes inside the tank? Or run overflows in the cabinetry to the right of the tank? External overflow box on the right side?

Sarmo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
SouthWest MT
I would do which ever one you have the best access to. I'm guessing that would be the external overflow. it would be hidden in the cabinet, right? I like the clean look on the inside of the aquarium when possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store