First Predator Tank! HELP!

PayaraPhreak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Iowa
​Hello community!
I am interested in making a predator tank. (kinda) It will be around 100 gallons and hold an Endlicheri Bichir and a Shortnose Gar. I would like to know if any of you have any inputs that can help me with the overall health of the tank, what type of backround, foliage, wood, etc. should be put into the tank, recommended pH, filter, and perhaps other fish that could go into the tank, any tips/tricks will do.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

PayaraPhreak

PayaraPhreak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Iowa
Oh yes, and constructive criticism would be the most helpful in my opinion. Harshness doesn't bother me s ogo right ahead and speak your mind. ;)

PayaraPhreak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Iowa
After some more in-depth research on the fish I have came up with 2 more possible candiates, could the tank be 120 and have a Green Zaire Bichir? Or are there other fish that could serve as a good replacement for the Shortnose gar?

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
looks like that tanks a 90 gallon and if you do have that combination, you're going to lose some fish so just be ready lol

edit: looking back at the video im pretty sure its a 120 wide. my 110 is 18 inches wide and that tanks surely wider than my 110. Looks to be 48/24/24. Thats as wide as my 220 lol

Vincent Tran

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal
People on youtube put red tail catfish in 55 gallons... The bichir would be ok in a 120. I hear they get up to 3 feet, but I have yet to see that and they do grow pretty slow. I am not sure about the gar.

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-SkrB5VQ74

These fish look healthy and it seems to just be a 50 gallon tank... So idk who to believe... I can settle with a spotted gar but I like the designs on the Endlicheri... I think that 120 would be fine..
None of these fish are close to full grown, a Florida spotted gar will easily reach above 2' in an aquarium. The endlicheri may be ok in a 120 for a few years but you will most likely have to upgrade. I would try for a tank 3' wide at the minimum for a gar.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store