Live rocks that are taken out of fresh water

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
Hello guys,
I have setup a 30 gallon JBJ in the hopes of having corals in them. I got the setup off of craigslist and the previous owner had it up and running for a ear and half. Also, my neighbor gave me a few live rock pieces (originally used in a salt water tank) that were from his freshwater aquarium. How would it affect my water quality? I saw an overnight increase in alkalinity so I did a 30% water change, I'm guessing this is because of the fresh water live rocks 'rehydrating' themselves. I probably have about 3-5 pounds of fresh water live rocks...

EDIT: asked my neighbor and he hasn't used any copper based medications in his fresh water aquarium...

cell0phane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2014
NY
Should be fine. If you're worried about anything leeching out, soak in RO water for a few days and let it dry out so you can just reuse it as base rock in your SW system to be reseeded.

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
May leach phosphates and fuel an algae problem. Soaking in Rodi water that has been aerated so the ph is raised (fresh Rodi has a very low ph) will tell you in a few days if this will be a problem. If it is leaching look at acid dipping the rocks, which will dissolve the outer layer that has all the crap in it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store