Nano Iwagumi questions

rudukai13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Colorado
So I'm thinking about trying out a very simple small iwagumi scape for a small tank (really a vase but it holds a lot of water for a vase). This will be my first real attempt at an iwagumi style setup though, and I'm not really sure where to go with it. I've read a bunch of tutorials, watched countless YouTube videos and done many image searches looking for inspiration. I still don't have my mind set on what I'd like it to look like though. I'm really looking for suggestions on two fronts; The first being what I should make the scale look like, and secondly what all would be possible for occupants of the tank? I'm fairly certain I'll end up going with some nicely colored shrimp for the bottom, but I'd also like something to swim around in the middle section of the aquarium. For information, it will be kept at room temp and will have natural reflected sunlight on a shelf in my room. About as low-tech as you can get. I've included a picture of the vase (with soda can for size reference). I'd appreciate if anyone could post pictures and/or make suggestions for how the scape should look, keeping in mind it's a round container and will be viewed from almost every angle - meaning there will be no "front" of the aquarium for a focal point.

Any and all help is much appreciated. Thank you!

image.jpg

image.jpg

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Thats a tough one. Im not sure you will get a true iwagumi scape with a vase for a container. They usually resemble a kind of grassy field with a rock or 2 in there and im not sure you can reproduce that look in a relatively narrow setup. As far as fish and shrimp go, most small fish and shrimp are expensive and fragile so im not sure what would survive at room temp, especially if it will be in the sun sometimes. Maybe some species of killifish or female betta would work

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Thats a tough one. Im not sure you will get a true iwagumi scape with a vase for a container. They usually resemble a kind of grassy field with a rock or 2 in there and im not sure you can reproduce that look in a relatively narrow setup. As far as fish and shrimp go, most small fish and shrimp are expensive and fragile so im not sure what would survive at room temp, especially if it will be in the sun sometimes. Maybe some species of killifish or female betta would work
Most true iwagumi are super high tech and feature heavy rock usage and really only foreground and carpeting plants.

What you want sounds more to me like a nice looking low tech tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Most true iwagumi are super high tech and feature heavy rock usage and really only foreground and carpeting plants.

What you want sounds more to me like a nice looking low tech tank.

And if you are after a great low tech setup we can probably help, but I wouldnt know where to begin to make that into an iwagumi style setup

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
And if you are after a great low tech setup we can probably help, but I wouldnt know where to begin to make that into an iwagumi style setup
I mean, you could...but you'd have to get some slightly uncommon plants to make it happen, and IMHO it's not something I'd recommend to anyone just starting planted tanks. I think I'd rather leave an idea like that to someone with more experience who's dealt with enough species and setup types that they would be able to figure out from prior knowledge what to do to make an iwagumi in such a non traditional way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store