Pop Eye and Gas Bubbles...

chiroken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2012
Vancouver Island, BC Canada
Looking for some help with something I've never come across before. I have several grow out tanks of African peacocks and haps ranging from 2-4" in size. I recently added a healthy group of 5 albino fryeri's to 90 gallon bare bottomed tank of mixed fish. The next day I noticed 1 of the smaller fryeri's had pop eye. I did a 50% w/c (typically routine is 50% every 7-10 days on my tanks, the smaller tanks 50% every 5-7 days probably) even though water wasn't an issue (ammonia/nitrite 0/0, nitrate never above 10 in this tank). I add non-iodized salt, epsom salt and baking soda as part of my regular water maintenance. Fish was a bit reclusive and still eating. Then the second eye popped. Has now been moved to a 15 gallon tank and has been there several days. Is quite skittish but has been eating, not aggressively, but eating. I have also added 1 TBSP/5g of epsom salt to aid in reducing swelling from research I've done.

Over top of both eyes are what appear to be gas bubbles. Very noticeable with these fish being albinos. Don't quite understand how this factors into the equation.

Reading seems to be bacterial or damage for pop eye? Can take weeks to recover but typically does?

Now I've just notice a 2nd fryeri in the 90 with a single pop eye and bubble over top of the eye...wth??? This is also a small fish and I will assume there has been some aggression towards it. Not overly torn up fins or fish, just the fish doesn't have that "smooth" skin look. I haven't seen any specific aggression causing damage in the tank period. I removed a fire fish and OB peacock several weeks ago to another tank once they started flexing their muscle. Seems very calm since.

I would appreciate any and all advice you might have. I have removed the second fish into the 15g with the original fryeri. These large gas bubbles (if that is what they are) are really weird?

Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store