weld-40 annealed?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I'm planning on reinforcing some joints on one of my acrylic tanks. the joints are showing spreading and growing bubbles as well as crazing- spider web like cracks forming. Both in the seams. I'm planning to put some triangular shaped wedges along the interior joints of the tank. I've read all kinds of good things about weld 40 and 42. I have read however that it has to be heat treated-annealed? There's no way I can fit this in an oven.

Is this a process that has to be followed to bond two pieces of acrylic with this product? Can I use another weld-on product that will bond acrylic with enough strength to help reinforce a joint?

My friends say not to worry about this but weekly I see more and more bubbles and crazing in the seams. I'm out of town at my other residence on work now but it's really unsettling to be worrying about this 1000 miles away all of the time. I have house sitters and family that feed the fish and do maintenance while I'm away (regular work travel). But I don't think they could handle a massive aquarium bursting in my absence and save all of the fish. A situation I would like to avoid.

It's an 8x3x2.5 Acrylic which I just shimmed the stand on and leveled. I had hoped that was the cause of the seams crazing and bubbling but it has considered to progress at the same rate since leveling.

I took some pictures over the weekend while I was up there. I'll post them when I'm home this evening.

any suggestions? all advice welcome.

thanks MFK

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Some times old acrylic will just do stuff that is not on the normal end of things. I have a 220 here I am using for a sump and I did the tip and pour method along the bottom and one edge I wanted to reinforce. Some areas it caused crazing along the pours. Was it from pressure or the acrylic or what I have no idea really. Does it need to be heated up a bit first I don't think that would have changed anything. Just mix and do the tip and pour where you want it. Should be alright. Unless you have the money to spend on a new setup then go for that and sell the old. Unfortunately more than often we are working with older cheaper setups and making them work vs having the best available.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Thank you very much for the reply. This is a silly question I'm sure but what is the tip and pour method? I think I visualize what you are describing.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I don't mind crazing in the acrylic panels. It's just the crazing in the seams that makes me nervous. Is that I sign of diminishing joint integrity?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
In my opinion a little will happen overtime showing the half life of the acrylic. But at a point it's a risk and needs to be dealt with. Depending on the stage of where it's at. Like I said for some that means throw the tank away and get a new one for others that means repair and beef it up. Tip and pour means to literally tip the tank so the said seam you want to cover with the weld on 40 is pointing down so gravity will work for you. Once you situate the tank just pour a bead of weld on over that seam and it will fill that area like a person would do if they were welding two pieces of steel in the same manner.

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Nice tips. I have a well built 180 with significant crazing in the seams. I worry about it but I love that tank... :screwy:

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Didysis would you tip for side seams? Or just do the bead and let it fall straight down?

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Tip for all seams. You can't do it any other way. Dripping down will just make a mess and not work.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Testing if I understand correctly. With the tank standing as usual, would be the position to do the bottom seams?

Also do you think putting triangular shaped wedges into the seams along the entire interior will offer more support than just weldon 40 alone?

thanks for the input. I'm hoping Wednesday will chime in soon too

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I think I understand the corner itself is down with V shape aiming up. That way it fills the valley. Quite the project with a monster tank

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store