Should I Move Her?

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
I have a 5 year old Hystrix trio and one of the females is pregnant. Currently they are in a 300 gallon 8'x30"x2'H tank. I was thinking of moving the group to one of my 400's 8'x42"x2'H. Just them - no ther rays. They are not cramped where they are now, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind the extra space. All my tanks are on the same drip / recirculation system so water parameters would be exactly the same. Tanks are literally 6' apart and I would use a rubber net for the move. Concern is will the move stress the female out enough that she could lose her pups? She is 2 months pregnant. Typical gestation for a Hystrix is roughly 6 months (based on Spotfin's and Aquamann's experience). Anyone have experience (good or bad) in moving a pregnant ray?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gumby79

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
Calgary
Hey Mike, I have moved several preggo rays over the years and have never had a issue. A quick move and going into the same water, shouldn't be no problems.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Hi Mike,

Gumby is right regarding the same water etc, however I would use a square plastic container to capture her in rather than a net,this will be far less stressful for her and her developing pups, basically cuts out all the thrashing about rays sometimes do once removed from the water with a net.

Pleased to hear you have some little Hystrix on the way.

Good luck!

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I agree, use a plastic container to move them.

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
Move her as you would move a pup, keep her submerged under water at all times...

COngrats on the pregnancy :)

Gumby79

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
Calgary
Did you net yours or transfer in a tub?

You have seen my back room. To go from my 1600 into my 400 is literally 3 feet and so tight back there, Netting the ray is really my only option. If you have a tub that will fit your ray and into the top of your tank and maybe a extra hand to so someone can manage the tub or netting so you are not fighting with doing 3 things at once and stressing the ray more just by trying to get her in the tub lol or if you are graceful at netting and have a clear path, I think its really your call what would be better for the ray.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
You have seen my back room. To go from my 1600 into my 400 is literally 3 feet and so tight back there, Netting the ray is really my only option. If you have a tub that will fit your ray and into the top of your tank and maybe a extra hand to so someone can manage the tub or netting so you are not fighting with doing 3 things at once and stressing the ray more just by trying to get her in the tub lol or if you are graceful at netting and have a clear path, I think its really your call what would be better for the ray.
That's what I was thinking - probably more stressful to try and get her in a tub and lift it out around the tank bracing than it would be to do a quick netting.

I agree with pups it's best to move them in a tub to make sure you don't damage the yolk sac. They are smaller and much easier to move in a tub than an adult ray. Lol.

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
Hi Mike,

Gumby is right regarding the same water etc, however I would use a square plastic container to capture her in rather than a net,this will be far less stressful for her and her developing pups, basically cuts out all the thrashing about rays sometimes do once removed from the water with a net.

Pleased to hear you have some little Hystrix on the way.

Good luck!
Thanks Richard. I've gone through a bit of a dry spell with pups over the last year or two rebuilding up my collection. Really looking forward to some pups. Marbles are doing great and male is starting to roll claspers. With any luck, maybe some preggo marbles later this summer / fall.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store