Hoplarchus psittacus / Parrot Cichlids:

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Some times we can become complacent about the fish we keep, especially if we have had them for some time. Some fish just won't let that happen. Case in point ... my Hoplarchus psittacus. They are in a 180G display aquarium that looks into my family room. Whenever I enter my fish room, I go by it and these magnificent fish greet me. I can't help but stop and observe their graceful and majestic movements. It's like a water ballet. Here are a three pictures that I just had to take and share.

Slide7.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide7.JPG

Reactions: Backfromthedead

BichirAddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2007
Virginia
I loved mine but, once it got to 7" or so became way to aggressive killed my Indo Dat and, was starting to bully my polypterus around so he had to go. I hope to be able to house some again. My favorite Cichlid

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
definitely one of the classiest cichlids. I'd really like to try them someday.

drummerboy1248

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
Texas, USA
Those are some beautiful examples of the species. We'll done.
Once I can find another used tank, I will be looking to add one with a couple of other SA's. I need to thin the stocking in a 125 and take it down to a CA only tank. Will a parrot be a compatible tank mate for a chocolate and a Severum?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

inth3shadows

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2007
Bellaire, MI
I'd say most likely would be fine, at least at a smaller size. My 4-5" parrot only seems to care about conspecifics very similar in body structure to himself. He doesn't care about my chocolate at all. When it comes to central and south americans, we all know one fish can have totally different temperament than many of the species.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Is my memory correct that you keep all your fish without altering ph or hardness and that your water isn't what is considered ideal for this guys. I've always read these guys are one ofthe species where these parameters matter but yours look great, and spawned as well if I remember correctly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store