How to Get Rid of Medication and Bad Bacteria?

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Hi guys, recently I dosed my main tank with medication because my fish has pop eye but I've moved the sick fish to a quarantine tank..
The medicine is a mix of formalin, erythromycin, malachite green & etc..
Now I wanted to rid the main tank of medication completely and the bad bacteria in it that caused my fish to be sick..
Is there a way to do that? I'm already planning to use carbon..
Thanks in advance..

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
Well, as you mentioned, carbon will remove any medication. I am not sure what you are referring to when you say "bad bacteria." Are you referring to bacteria from the medication or the bacteria that caused the popeye?

If you are talking about medication bacteria, carbon and water changes will absorb/dilute very quickly.

If you are talking about bad bacteria that caused the sickness, bad bacteria are constantly in the aquarium. The key is to keep the fish healthy by doing water changes often, feeding a high quality food, etc. It's the same as in humans. Many of the bacteria that can make us sick are found naturally in our body, but don't cause a problem unless our immune system is compromised in some way. If we stay healthy, the bacteria can actually be beneficial, the issue only arises when one of those bacteria gets out of hand.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Thanks for the reply..
One more question though, how do I disinfect the equipment (nets, hose, etc) that were in contact with the sick fish? Or is it not necessary?

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
You can do a dilute bleach bath. I have never actually done this, but there is quite a few ways to do it and people offer different concentrations. Just remember to rinse off and give plenty of time for the equipment to dry. (If you didn't already know, bleach is chlorine based and will evaporate. So assuming you give everything enough time to dry there are no issues.)

Source310

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Phoenix az
Always remove sick fish to quarantine tank before adding medication.

For your hoses n nets i would say to run them under hot water.

Also be aware that you may have killed the beneficial bacteria and disturbed your cycle.
Id recomend doing small daily wc and test your water.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I use about a gallon of bleach per 50-55 gallons of aquarium. Remove any living fish. (I usually do this after the fish have died) Dump in the bleach and let the filter run. leave it in for a week and by this time, there will be no more chlorine. The bleach will be just water. More importantly, all of your pathogens will be dead. Dead from the tank. Dead from the filters and dead from the hoses, etc. Drain and refill the tank. Refill and re cycle your filtration. You'll be starting over fresh like nothing ever happened.

Lambrakopoulos

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
USA
Alright simple fix, water change to get rid of bacteria and green coloration of water, you want to disinfect everything you've used in the process to treat your fish.. So: nets, buckets, hoses, anything that can be contaminated. Also would look into back washing your filter for any remaining bacteria. Maybe replace some older filter media. And I know someone said to use a little bit of diluted Clorox water. It's safe to use, I agree. Been using that method for years, even at work. Just use a cap full and stir. That should work, don't leave items for more than 10-15 mins or thee Clorox will start to eat away at stuff. Especially nets! Rinse off with clean water and let it dry.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store