Feeder fish for my crayfish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
I have a fairly large Apricot Crayfish (about 6 inches or so) and was considering getting some feeder fish for him to hunt and eat. I do have a question though. Is it possible for him to catch a deadly disease in the event that any of the feeders are ill? Thank you.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Yes it is very possible. I wouldnt recommend feeders but if you quarantine them first they will be ok. If you want to see your cray get excited for food, throw in live plants. He will likely devour them at a shocking rate

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
Hey, thanks for the tip. Much appreciated. Unfortunately, being an Apricot Crayfish, he is mostly carnivorous and as such, has little interest in plants. How about live meal worms? Would you say that they're safer than feeder fish to consume? Again, thanks a lot.

Jnfergu2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Huntington, Indiana
Try live earth worms, purged of course. My Blue Lobster loves em. And don't do goldfish they are really dirty fish. My GF bought some and wanted to put them in my big poly tank I said no and she dumped them into the lobster tank. They started to steal his food... so he turned them into his food. He started to color fade and I got them out. He is back to vibrant blue.

brown_snake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Australia
Thanks so much for the advice. I'll be sure to avoid giving him live goldfish to snack on.

P:S:Sorry, but what do you mean by the term ''purged''? I apologize for my ignorance but I'm still a novice fish-keeper. Thanks once again.

Jnfergu2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Huntington, Indiana
Keeping the worms in a container and feeding them foods you know what are in them or keeping them from eating. You would be surprised what chemicals are in earthworms.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store