Collapsible poles?

Person

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2011
Classified
At a thrift store my dad found two collapsible poles, and he bought them so we could go fishing (we were on vacation without our normal poles). I've seen people say they're fly fishing rods but I don't really know much about fishing beyond "put the worm on the hook and hope fish bite it". The line length is non-adjustable. Anyone else seen something like that, and can you tell me if it's a fly rod?

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
can you post any pics? are they teloscopic, or just multiple pieces? it sounds like an old cane pole type rod.they can be used as a fly rod by using a fly and using it to kinda slap the water. but they could also be used with a simple bobber and worm. when i was a kid and couldnt afford a bunch of poles, i used to tie a length of line to the end of a stick i found by the lake and use it to catch catfish. it worked like a charm.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
The poles I got from korea are all telescopic. They sure do cost a decent amount and in korea they use it for just regular fishing and not fly fishing although I'm sure they do have poles dedicated for the fly. In korea its quite packed and these rods save so much space its the only rods I use. I can easily carry 2-4 rods in my back pack and fully close it except for my extra long ones which spool my reel with a flick of my wrist (great for carp btw). I use my rods from trout to 30 pound carps and it preforms great, a balanced tip that picks up on bluegill bites but it also doesnt blow in the wind but strong enough to land some monster carp!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281345546324?lpid=82

This is the exact one that I have and its honestly on the cheaper side and is about a medium size pole to me. It doesnt spool my reel with a flick of the wrist but its well worth it imo. Great for walleye fishing as their bites can be a bit suttle at times.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; perhaps the easiest way to tell if they are fly rods is to look at the position of the reel mounts. On a bait casting type there will be a handle that sticks out past the place where the reel mounts. On a fly rod the reel mount is at the end of the rod butt.

I have two piece and four piece fly rods that work quite well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store