Orange Eyed Blue Tiger Shrimps and a Question!

HyenaParty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
shrimps.jpg

I just obtained these cute lil guys and they're sitting in quarantine right now! They're so fun to watch.

Question - I want to turn my 125 gallon into a peaceful community and add them in! My filter is a fluval fx5 and I'm a bit worried I'll lose them and/or any small fish in there. I've stretched a bit of hosiery over the intake, but it's causing lil tiny particles to not be filtered out and I'm not fond of the aesthetic of them floating around.

Is shrimp disappearing into the filter a valid concern or am I worrying to much?

shrimps.jpg

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
I suspect that's what happened to the cherry and tangerine shrimp I had, along with my scarlet badis. I've also had bad luck finding dead Oto catfish stuck in my filter intake.

I'm definitely figuring out something to cover mine before I introduce any more ornamental shrimp.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HyenaParty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I wrapped a sponge over the filter intake and zip-tied it on -- seems to be working so far! It allows more water through than hosiery and still prevents the lil guys from meeting their doom!

prefilter.jpg

prefilter.jpg

Vincent Tran

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
SoCal
All fish will eat shrimp or their babies excluding ottos. Shrimp will get sucked in the filters unless you put a stainless steel prefilter or a sponge prefilter over the intake. I learned both of these lessons the hard way..

HyenaParty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
Do you think the sponge I attached will suffice? The adults seem safe, but I'm not sure about babies.

Currently the shrimp are alone in a quarantine tank, so they're not in danger of being eaten at the moment. I'm not decided on other tank inhabitants, but otos are on the list! I also have a medium/large sized pleco that I feel would probably ignore them since he's ignored all the other itty bitty critters I've had with him in the past.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store