Ray tank debris...

Wanna Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Middle East
Before any of u ask me to move this topic to the setup & filteration section lemme tell u dat I'm posting it here coz it's pertaining to rays & also the responses r slower there & much faster here!!!

The leftovers of the ray's carni/massi pellets & my FRT's algae wafers is getting accumulated within the substrate all around my 6*2*2 ft tank!!!

The rays r kickin it all up, makin the tank very messy!!! I'm running an FX6 in the tank, but it's just not pickin up these debris! Not it's fault, but the waste just isn't reaching the suction!!! I've tried fiddling with the outlet heads, but it still just isn't cuttin it!!! Just seems to create numerous alternate deadspots !!!

My next experiment is to add 1 of those wave makers to increase the flow over the substrate to facilitate the debris reaching the suction of the FX6 eventually!!! But I'm now wondering if this increased flow along the floor is gonna be ok or stressful for the 6" Leo pair!!!

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Before any of u ask me to move this topic to the setup & filteration section lemme tell u dat I'm posting it here coz it's pertaining to rays & also the responses r slower there & much faster here!!!

The leftovers of the ray's carni/massi pellets & my FRT's algae wafers is getting accumulated within the substrate all around my 6*2*2 ft tank!!!

The rays r kickin it all up, makin the tank very messy!!! I'm running an FX6 in the tank, but it's just not pickin up these debris! Not it's fault, but the waste just isn't reaching the suction!!! I've tried fiddling with the outlet heads, but it still just isn't cuttin it!!! Just seems to create numerous alternate deadspots !!!

My next experiment is to add 1 of those wave makers to increase the flow over the substrate to facilitate the debris reaching the suction of the FX6 eventually!!! But I'm now wondering if this increased flow along the floor is gonna be ok or stressful for the 6" Leo pair!!!

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
For one FRT and rays don't mix well

It may work short term but after some time it will be a problem

Many may say it worked ok for them when they done the mix but you have to ask yourself if it worked so well why did they move/sell the FRT

at some point the FRT will also start to eat the carnivore pellets this is when problems start

Anyway back to the dirty substrate

If the substrate is getting dirty it's one of 2 things
1. To deep
2. To heavy

Substrate should never get dirty in a ray tank as they are always turning the substrate over

If you are getting that much left over food then you may want to feed less or get some mid water fish that will clean up the left overs

All depending on your tank size you will always have problems with FRT as they produce a lot of waste which is another reason why turtles and rays don't mix

Good luck it's a great mix and looks cool but doesn't work

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Agree with Richard.

Why not vaccum the whole shebang?

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Going to need a bigger tank within 12 months anyway. So get ready to spend some money and when you are at it get a MUCH BIGGER filter system

chris85

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
uk
Back in my early ray keeping days i to had a 6x2 but i ran 2 Fx5 filters to keep the tank clean and i aslo found it better to keep a bare bottom tank. I know bare bottom isnt everybodys cup of tea but i didnt find that it bothered the rays. I found i was able to keep a better handle on water quality. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store