Gars on pellets

TexanMFKer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2014
South Korea
My gator ate turtle food sticks.
I have to starve him for a few days though...
All my gars in the past has also

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Feed them something similar to the pellet feeding. For example, if you are feeding sinking pellets try frozen (sinking) shrimp first or sinking fish (if there's any other kind…). Once they get used to eating food in that way they'll eventually take pellets, just keep reintroducing the pellets and they should take them one day.

You can try moving the pellets and the gars could chase them. I had an alligator gar which ate goldfish pellets on the surface of the water when my powerhead blew the pellets around, he treated them like any other fish.

The type of gar makes a difference in my opinion, some are more accepting than others. Try different methods if the gar won't accept a certain method, eventually they'll take them. I do not believe in the starving method, overall reintroduction of new foods is the best way to get them to eat new foods.

DatnoidEd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Springfield, Ohio
I got a Florida last month and like posted above just starve him until he takes the pellets. If he's healthy he'll eventually eat what's offered. Mine is now also taking cocktail shrimp from my hand.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

baji

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
Chennai, India
Get a trainer fish, buy a big fish tat eats only pellets, and stop feeding ur gar other foods, ur gar will learn to eat pellets from tat fish, when it is hungry...

MonsterAquariaNetwork App

lunker65

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2013
Virginia
I trained mine a few months ago to eat the hikari food sticks. they take them by the mouth full now. it took about a week or so to figure it out. but on the other hand, it took my bullhead almost two months to figure it out.

jpcampbell123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
my floridas would eat pellets and krill some of my longnose would eat them too even had one longnose that loved night crawler chunks. i used sinking pellets with mine they learned to take them off the bottom.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store