Filtering fish rooms

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So if I fell into money and wife agreed I would want to set up a fish room with a wall of 40 or so gallon tanks some for grow out some for breeding say mbuna or other smaller fish with a cpl larger tanks well anyway could I tie the tanks all in together and run them thru one sump? Or should I do sponge filters? What would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
The one sump multiple tank thing does work, just remember that if one fish gets a disease then all the tanks hooked up can catch it too.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
A UV would help with a limited amount of things. If I was doing a fish room with that many tanks, I would not consider anything besides sponges. You can't afford to run separate power filters and cross contamination in a sump from disease is possible. If you were intent on running sumps, I would suggest dividing into quarters. That way you are able to keep medication to a minimum. Also you would not be able to run UV on sponge filter systems. I would consider using box filters to collect particulate matter.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Buy a good air pump or two, build an air distribution system and run air-driven sponges and boxes to each tank.

That's how I filter most of the tanks in my 50-60 tank fishroom: 1 box (with lots of air, fluff changed frequently) and 1 sponge (with less air).

Matt

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Sumps can work but disease is a big issue. I try not to put new fish into systems using one sump for quite some time and has worked so far....

But seeing as they are going to be more smaller tanks I would be going with sponge filters or building a mini sump in the back of each tank which can also be ran off air.

The only major pro with having them all hooked up to one sump is water changes can be very simple but there are other options to ease water changes for multi tanks which I would seriously consider / plan before any tanks are even purchased.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Yea it's a far fetched dream, I would have to look into what to breed and what size tanks to do so and of course would have to look good I'm not breeding to make money it would be for fun and to put a little money back into hobby

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
A UV would help with a limited amount of things. If I was doing a fish room with that many tanks, I would not consider anything besides sponges. You can't afford to run separate power filters and cross contamination in a sump from disease is possible. If you were intent on running sumps, I would suggest dividing into quarters. That way you are able to keep medication to a minimum. Also you would not be able to run UV on sponge filter systems. I would consider using box filters to collect particulate matter.
x2 I would only use sponges, best and most efficient way to run many tanks in one room. With all the electricity I use on my 220 paired with its sump I could run 5 fish rooms each with their own blower haha.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Go bare bottom on all the tanks for super easy cleaning and run sponges on something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/221365577698

Sponges works very well, but you definitely need to be religious with your water changes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store