Aussie's tank for BTR and bull shark

TNTtropical

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
ABC
Disclaimer this is not my tank i just saw this on youtube and thought i would post it. He has some interesting views in regards to keeping BTR's in a square aquarium. Just wondered if anyone agrees with his bubble technique or if anyone has any thoughts. I have my thoughts about the video, but i do not want to preempt anyone's response here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdK5Rdv0nzk

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
That tank is WAY too small for either of them - even though he calls it a "nice big tank". And the instant he says he's going to stunt the growth I lost all care for this guy as a keeper. The damage done with growth stunting is very well documented. "If your shark gets too big, let it go" - wow, one of the WORST things you can do. So sad to think someone like this is thinking he's doing the right thing. Black tips, not well, and not for long. Bulls? Not a chance.

Blacking out windows, bubbles walls etc... are all old tricks. Corners aren't issues. The length of the glide path is. Most ORV sharks can handle corners just fine. You need to consider the corners unusable space when looking at where the sharks can swim. The sharks will have to make several quick/jerking kicks to make those corners. This is bad for the sharks to do repeatedly over a long period of time. If you want a display/tank with corners, you need to draw a circle on the inside to depict the actual glide path for the sharks you plan on keeping.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
+1

This is sad.

Its one thing to have a small tank and be ignorant - its a complete other thing to have all this know how about tank construction and then tell yourself a bunch of lies to make you feel better for doing this to an animal. Sharks are amazing creatures.

Not good for aquaria however.

TNTtropical

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
ABC
+2 My thoughts exactly, the saddest part is this guy looks like he is doing educational videos, it is sad that he passing this bad info along to other fish and shark keepers

PBassJoe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Houston
I usually dont flag videos ir whatever its called but maybe we should. The guy gives bad info, makes it seem like sharks would not wish to be in a bigger place. He makes sharks seem like they've dumb (I love sharks my most favorite animal). I guess everybody should get a one gallon fish bowl and stick a rtc in it...........don't worry it'll stay at 3 inches.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ukshaun

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2008
UK
+1

This is sad.

Its one thing to have a small tank and be ignorant - its a complete other thing to have all this know how about tank construction and then tell yourself a bunch of lies to make you feel better for doing this to an animal. Sharks are amazing creatures.

Not good for aquaria however.
+1

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
I also agree with everything Zoodiver(Matt) - has said. Given how large that tank looks - if the guy had said he was plan on putting in small benthic species of sharks - I don't think anyone a problem. But he was talking about ORVs - and that's a completely different situation. An average(5 foot) adult BTR needs at least 30-35 feet for a proper swim-glide path. A big Bull needs something closer to 100 feet.

Aggressive By Nature

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2012
Boynton Beach, FL
I did some research. He has a ray, and epaullete (i cant spell lol), btr, and a white tip reef. he also had like 5+ baby makos in there!!!!!!!!!! Thats so cool, but then they let them go. they most likely died after they were let go and let go because the btr and white tip would eat them. I would have kept at least one to see how long you can keep them. would be awesome for research.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store