When should i start training?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
So i got a female motoro ray. Its currently in a 40 gallon tank. Before you guys start getting upset, its only temporary. 2 weeks max for quarantine and deworming/parasite and whatnot. She is about 5 inches in diameter... and the lfs had her on black worms. Not that i have a problem with black worms, when can i start pellet training it? should i go by the disc size? or should i measure by the tail's thickness? I'd like to get it off live and frozen asap without disrupting its growth. This is my first ray, please bare with me. and after 2 weeks of making sure its all good it'll go into its brand now 300 gallon tank with a male (which will go through the same procedure). any kind of tips would be great! And yes i have read the stickies, they only tell you what to feed, not when.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
If it captive bred you shouldn't have any problems feeding pellets now

Most captive bred rays are not fussy and will eat anything

By the size of her I would say she is captive bred as not many motoro are imported at that size

If she is wild caught it maybe a bit more tricky

Hikari sinking carnivore seam to be the easiest pellet to get them started on so just crush up a few and dump them in with the black worms

You can start trying pellets as soon as you get a ray home unless they are real skinny

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
Can we swe pics of her? If she is on blackworms I'll bet she is w/c. I personally think all rays should be fed both frozen and pellets. The only reason I feed pellets are for the vitamins and stuff that is missing from frozen. I would feed chopped shrimp, tilapia, smelt etc. To her until she is a fat pig. If she will take pellets now then you can go that route. Remove all uneatin food. And yes 40 gal. Is tiny hope you don't have an ammonia spike and loose her. Let us know how she does for you. You may also want to try chopped earthworms if she is being picky.

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
If it captive bred you shouldn't have any problems feeding pellets now

Most captive bred rays are not fussy and will eat anything

By the size of her I would say she is captive bred as not many motoro are imported at that size

If she is wild caught it maybe a bit more tricky

Hikari sinking carnivore seam to be the easiest pellet to get them started on so just crush up a few and dump them in with the black worms

You can start trying pellets as soon as you get a ray home unless they are real skinny

i got the ray from aquascapeonline. so its more than likely Wild caught.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Can we swe pics of her? If she is on blackworms I'll bet she is w/c. I personally think all rays should be fed both frozen and pellets. The only reason I feed pellets are for the vitamins and stuff that is missing from frozen. I would feed chopped shrimp, tilapia, smelt etc. To her until she is a fat pig. If she will take pellets now then you can go that route. Remove all uneatin food. And yes 40 gal. Is tiny hope you don't have an ammonia spike and loose her. Let us know how she does for you. You may also want to try chopped earthworms if she is being picky.

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Snake i gree to a certain point. pellets are definitely the staple. I personally prefer pellets only. To hopefully counter that ammonia spike I am planning on atleast 50% water change every week. She seems... active. i am not sure if its normal for a ray to keep jumping on the side of my tank.... i have an air bar running so i dont thing its lack of oxygen... as for foods, she seemed a little skinny so i am gonna just feed black worms until the portion i purchased is finished (which is 1 portion). I got a baby arowana and peacock bass in there as well doing the same with weening and deworming and parasite check. but they will be transfered into another tank in 3 days. I am constantly checking on the tank to see if everything is fine or not... i do not seen any signs of sores, but her entire belly is pink (which i hope is normal), and I did see her eat a nice portion of the black worms after i turned off the lights.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
also what kind of pellets do you feed? i was thinking ken's sinking earth worm sticks and possibly another type of sinking pellet. As for pictures i'll post one up asap.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
also what kind of pellets do you feed? i was thinking ken's sinking earth worm sticks and possibly another type of sinking pellet. As for pictures i'll post one up asap.
I have had pups that wouldn't eat any other pellet except hikari sinking carnivore

Once you get her feeding well on them then try other pellets

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Just add some pellets with the food she will readily eat and she will start to eat them.

My current wild Motoro female 5-6" disc only eats frozen. She doesn't like pellets yet. I actually prefer fish meat(whole fish) as a staple over pellets.

Good luck with the new acquisition.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I have had pups that wouldn't eat any other pellet except hikari sinking carnivore

Once you get her feeding well on them then try other pellets

Are u telling me not to use hikari? I normally stick with kens pellets cause they are cheap and decent quality. Only thing is hikari does a decent job with feeding more and having less waste. Atleast for the the goldfish and cichlids I have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store