Bleeding cuban gar

Jason1202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
Singapore
My Cuban gar bled through its gills earlier today.

Blood was coming out from the side for about 3 to 5 sec.

The gar seem restless and has not been eating for the past few days.

No visible wounds or bite marks around the body...

All other tank mates are doing well especially the Arowana.

PH of the water is about 7.2 with temp around 31 degree Celsius.

Any one experiences this before?

Jason1202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
Singapore

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Ya, my jag was eating and acting normal. That is why it surprised me when this happened out of the blue. I have no experience with gars but I'm sure there are a lot of people here who are more than qualifies to help you out. Hopefully someone who has gars and experience with this can chime in. Or I would start a new thread with "My gar has not been feeding for the past few days and it is dropping it tails....." this way you can get a more directed answer. Sorry I couldn't be any more help, but good luck with your gar and I hope you are able to get it back to feeling normal. But as far as the bleeding, if it was the same thing that happened to my jag, he should be ok as far as the bleeding is involved. Hopefully the other symptoms are not related

Jason1202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
Singapore
Ya, my jag was eating and acting normal. That is why it surprised me when this happened out of the blue. I have no experience with gars but I'm sure there are a lot of people here who are more than qualifies to help you out. Hopefully someone who has gars and experience with this can chime in. Or I would start a new thread with "My gar has not been feeding for the past few days and it is dropping it tails....." this way you can get a more directed answer. Sorry I couldn't be any more help, but good luck with your gar and I hope you are able to get it back to feeling normal. But as far as the bleeding, if it was the same thing that happened to my jag, he should be ok as far as the bleeding is involved. Hopefully the other symptoms are not related
Thanks again man!

I just hope that by doing more water change and adding salt would helps.

The gar never took any live feeders at all so the chances of getting parasite infection is low.

But if it is not a parasite infection, what would have caused such bleeding?

Also, the lower snout seem to be swollen.....

Jason1202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
Singapore
20140504_161320.jpg Update.

After changing 20% water and adding 0.1% salt, the gar was seen bleeding again.

This time, there were chunks of blood cloths and some white mucus.

It remains restless and the it constantly resting at one corner of the tank.

:cry:

20140504_161320.jpg

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I would say the temps too high anyway.

I have never seen it happen. Could it be gill flukes?

Wait for more gar guys to chime on.

Jason1202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
Singapore
I would say the temps too high anyway.

I have never seen it happen. Could it be gill flukes?

Wait for more gar guys to chime on.
The temps is quite normal in our area... and it has been like this ever since I setup the tank 5 years ago.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Well, obviously their is some kind of wound. Is your gar hurting itself? Is something else hurting it? I don't think parasites tend to literally destroy gills, but maybe some do. It seems like your gar may have a poor immune system if nothing is causing it? Otherwise, wouldn't antibodies or whatever fish have kill the bacteria and heal the wound?

Maybe take your gar out and look down its mouth at the gills, I would try everything and anything to keep my gars healthy.

Jason1202

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
Singapore
Well, obviously their is some kind of wound. Is your gar hurting itself? Is something else hurting it? I don't think parasites tend to literally destroy gills, but maybe some do. It seems like your gar may have a poor immune system if nothing is causing it? Otherwise, wouldn't antibodies or whatever fish have kill the bacteria and heal the wound?

Maybe take your gar out and look down its mouth at the gills, I would try everything and anything to keep my gars healthy.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I am certain that there are no wounds or bite marks on the gar.

Really dont look like it hurts itself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store