Tanks and Cold Weather

CherryBarb.ie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2014
Minnesota
I have a 55 gallon tank that has been stored in my garage for 5 years. I live in Minnesota so the temps have gotten to -20 below straight temp this winter. I was thinking of setting it up but not sure if the cold would have affected it's ability to hold water. I an going to test it for leaks obviously but how long should I test it to see if it holds water? I am paranoid even if it passes that it might leak or break due to it being outside in the cold. Anytime have any experience with something like this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
1) Despite low outside temperatures, since the tank was stored in the garage, only inside the garage temps are an issue. It's doubtful the garage ever was below 20F. GE 1 silicone is rated after application for around -55F, so you should be fine on the silicone.

2) Float glass is rated for use far lower than that as normal pane windows are commonly used and exposed to temperatures as low as -60F to -75F and lower with little ill effect. (I know because I lived in Chicago and saw temps that low many times, but of course, so have you and millions of others.)

Of course, I'd do as you planned and fill the tank (in the garage) and wait to see if it leaks. Re-sealing is an option if you just want peace of mind, but the glass is less likely to be a problem than the silicone as far as cold temps are concerned.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Tank should be just fine. With that said, its always a good idea to test a tank for leaks even if it was stored in ideal conditions

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store