Dwarf Puffer tank mate ideas

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
I have a standard 55g aquarium. The last foot-1 1/2' I have divided off for my shrimp (Crystal, cherry, and ghost). On the bigger side I'll have my 2 dwarf puffers and a bamboo shrimp. The water parameters are at: PH-7.0, Temp-76°f, Ammo and Nitrite-0 and Nitrate-10ppm-20ppm. I like friendly, colorful fish that aren't super common. I want the addition to eat what I feed my puffers (bloodworms, krill, brine and snails). I don't do snails too often, probably about 5/week. The next fish I want to not hide all the time and to get about 3" +/-. I'm not big on tetras, platys or mollies. Any ideas?

Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 12 gilled babies

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would would keep an eye on the bamboo shrimp, because dwarf puffer's have beaks and may nip on the shrimp.

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
I just got the bamboo shrimp and only because I've had the dwarf with all my ghost, cherry and Crystal shrimp and they haven't even messed with those. I'm putting the divider in today. I want to keep it with all the other shrimp but my power head is on the other side.

Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 12 gilled babies

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Typically, they should be kept with other dwarf puffers or any fish that are quick enough to evade getting picked at. I read that peacock gudgeon have been kept successfully with dwarf puffers.They are pretty colorful. Good Luck ;)

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
I keep one dwarf puffer with 3 aquatic crabs, 2 amano shrimps and 2 shrimps with claws(can't remember the name ATM) and a bristle nose pleco.

They all go along well, however I'm moving the pleco, due to its constant pooping.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
dwarf puffer males get territorial.
mine is best friends with a sparkling gouramie, he tolerates guppies, khuli loaches and corydoras.
In retrospect the cories were a bad idea as they stress him out with their constant up/down swimming.
In a 55 you should have plenty of room for multiple males to have territory but your best bet is to get a bunch of lady puffers for 1 male. With enough mud snails, daphnia and mosquito larvae your puffer will never know those shrimp exist.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store