start of fish room planning

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
So I am doing the begging stages of planning my fish room, which I should start to put together in 3 months. Right now I have running 90, 75, two 26s, 125, 40bewwswe, and two 20Ls. I will also be adding in two 250g, two 55 and two 20Hs and most likely another 75 and 40breeder. What is the best way to filter all of this? I am definitely doing a shared sump for 250g and was thinking about trying to add on the 125? With the other tanks should I look into sumps to join those vs stay with my aquaclears and few canisters vs Sponges with power heads(can they be reliably used on larger tanks)? Also with the sump setup with multiple tanks and multiple pumps what is the best way to do UV inline vs in the sump? Thanks
oh and the 40s breeders would be the quarantine tanks individually run (sponge or HOB?)

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I'm not sure about the UV stuff but doing a shared sump in multiple tanks also means sharing disease. If one tank broke out with disease all that are hooked up to the sump also would. And doing seperate HOB filters is kind of a lot to both plug in and pay the bill for so would a sump for each tank. I plan on setting up a fish room myself with ten 40 breeders and two 180s and four 60s and various other tanks.the 180s will have their own sumps which is logical considering they are too big for weaker filtration and the 60s will have either aqua clear 110s or fx6's. As for the 40s(this is what I suggest you do) I will hook them up with aireators or air pumps what ever you want to call them and put in each tank a large sponge and box filter both powered by air this filters them and limits the possibility of disease while still being efficient enough ad for the UV stuff you need to see if someone else chimes in because u don't know about that stuff

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I'm not sure about the UV stuff but doing a shared sump in multiple tanks also means sharing disease. If one tank broke out with disease all that are hooked up to the sump also would. And doing seperate HOB filters is kind of a lot to both plug in and pay the bill for so would a sump for each tank. I plan on setting up a fish room myself with ten 40 breeders and two 180s and four 60s and various other tanks.the 180s will have their own sumps which is logical considering they are too big for weaker filtration and the 60s will have either aqua clear 110s or fx6's. As for the 40s(this is what I suggest you do) I will hook them up with aireators or air pumps what ever you want to call them and put in each tank a large sponge and box filter both powered by air this filters them and limits the possibility of disease while still being efficient enough ad for the UV stuff you need to see if someone else chimes in because u don't know about that stuff

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
thanks for the input. It sounds like a nice setup you are going with, but not sure it will exactly work for me. I do have some breeding endeavors planned and if it works will have racks of 40 and smaller for sponge only. Most of my tanks will be considerably bigger and I will be adding over time. I hope to run a blower to supplement most of the tanks and run the smaller ones, but not sure whats best for the bigger tanks. When I say best trying to maximize filtration, cost, and ease of maintenance. I realize the health risks, but not sure each tank having its own filtration is the most reasonable option.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I would setup an air system for your fish room. Buy a large air pump, build a distribution loop and run individual lines from that loop to supply are to filters. You could use box filters or sponge filters. It is much cheaper and very effective. Then for the larger tanks, you can supplement with a sump or some canisters.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I would setup an air system for your fish room. Buy a large air pump, build a distribution loop and run individual lines from that loop to supply are to filters. You could use box filters or sponge filters. It is much cheaper and very effective. Then for the larger tanks, you can supplement with a sump or some canisters.
Up to what size tanks can I run well with sponges?

Let me know if you need some custom stand work.
Lol already been thinking about it, but it will not be for a bit.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Up to what size tanks can I run well with sponges?
Anything over 75G and I would personally consider using additional filtration.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Single sponges in the 20s & 10s, then dual sponges in the 40 br and the 75s I plan to install.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Most of your fish thrive in the same wayer params... and you will be quarentining in the 40s so If it was me, I would run central sump system for all tanks, this way you can maintaint the whole system with your UV and filtration. This will both stabilize the system (more volume) and allow for less human/mechanical error. If you run independent tanks then you have to keep up with each tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store